Brenda in Japan

Hailing from Minneapolis, Minnesota, Brenda McKinney is an American living and working in the Kansai region of Japan. This is an account of her life and adventures among the fine people of Nihon.

Friday, May 25, 2007

Oh, Midterms... how they come and go.

This has been a busy week of test-taking for the kiddies. While I personally haven't had classes or tests to proctor, I've managed to keep myself entertained. It's been a bit busy, actually...
**********************************************************************
On Monday, I holed up in my classroom for the morning, doing some reading and "Japanese cultural research" (ie watching movies - some for lessons, some out of interest). One of the movies, Grave of the Fireflies, was in Japanese (with English text) and in a local dialect. I could only understand bits and pieces, but my listening comprehension skills are getting better and I was able to get some new vocab out of it.
I took the afternoon off and met Miyake Sensei for lunch at a steakhouse near where we live (Mpls's Ichiban style!). Miyake brought her neighbor, who is around my age, and who happens to be the old host-sister of a friend from Australia that studied abroad here. Small world. In the evening, I went for my run before Japanese class and then to bed (sorta late), the usual.
**********************************************************************
I spent Tuesday morning reading my law school prep books in my classroom. Joe brought a few with him from America, and I am finding the information both insightful and helpful. It's embarrassing to admit, but at one point, I realized there were tears streaming down my cheeks as I was reading a chapter about motivation for going into law and finding passion in life. It's just been such a long journey to get to where I am now (& to where I am going), but I feel like I am finally on the right road again - for me. Don't get me wrong, I gained some very valuable skills as an analyst and loved my time at Carlson (great company, great job, amazing mentors), but while it was a good place to be and taught me a lot, it was someone else's dream - not mine. I am still young; it's worth taking risks to follow the right path for you. Anyways, it was like the author of this law book was talking directly to me in this section, and it hit me harder than I expected it to, in a very good way (now let's just hope the admissions counselors see that, too!).
There's No Place Like Home...
In the afternoon, we had our bi-annual staff softball game. Let me just preface this story by saying I am not a huge fan of playing softball, nor am I very good. Well, I'm "ok" at most sports and am willing to give it a try, but not great. As the only female out on the field with my team (of talented players - who knew?!), however, I was proud to be playing like a girl:)
We played on the school's baseball field, and a lot of students watched and cheered us on. It was pretty fun, and I learned some good cheers in Japanese. AND... my team won!! By the time I got inside and back to my desk, I had two big cans of beer waiting for me (to be had AT WORK). Beer at school? I don't even need to click my heels... we're definately not in America anymore. It was a fun afternoon outside and a good bonding experience with the coworkers.
That night I headed into Akashi to take some pictures. I had agreed to do a friend a favor by taking some professional pictures to advertising his business in a local event paper, called Hot Pepper (kind of like the City Pages of Kobe). It went well, and I met a friend for dinner, drinks and a puff or two on the ole 'hubble bubble' afterwards (green apple, my fave). I'll post the ad once I see it....
**********************************************************************
Wednesday was our ladies lunch at school, which is basically an excuse for the female staff members to get together. It was extremely refreshing! We ordered box lunches of sushi and rice, which came in these fancy little ceramic boxes, and had tea and cake for desert. And I learned another fact little fact: matcha-flav. chocolate is dangerously delicious! A lot of the women I work with have very strong personalities, which don't always shine in the presence of meetings, etc, so it was good to hear & learn more about who they are and what their days are like. I missed the last ladies lunch, and I forsee them getting better and better as my Japanese improves more.
I was able to leave school earlier than usual again and slept for a while when I got home before taking an evening run along the river. I was mostly kept company by elderly couples and canine-lovers on the river path, but it's a a nice view and romantic path in the evening. The air, however, is definately getting noticibly thicker. The humidy was pretty unpleasant, for maybe the first time of the year... makes me nervous for the summer. I might have to get used to night runs. On a side note, I just want to say I know my schedule outside of work closely resembles that of a cat this week (a little work here, a little lunch there and a lot of sleeping and running), but it's been years since I've napped and you have to take it while you can get it!
**********************************************************************
Thursday was spent correcting tests (actually very pleased to have more substantial actual work to do this week), taking in a long-overdue phone call with a friend from home, going for a long run in the evening (I think I might be back in training - harder to do long distance but the new running buddy is good)... and .... Not much else going on - cut friend's hair and went to bed.
**********************************************************************
I am going to the spa tomorrow evening (Friday) in Akashi for girl's night. Miwa is coming. Apparently, the place has 'rock beds' with a massage for about $15. Rock on.

Brain Candy: I learned a new phrase worth sharing this past week. In Japan, if someone is really energetic and cheerful, you refer to them as "high tension" (using English). Talk about leaving room for misinterpretation... :-P

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home