Brenda in Japan

Hailing from Minneapolis, Minnesota, Brenda McKinney is an American living and working in the Kansai region of Japan. This is an account of her life and adventures among the fine people of Nihon.

Friday, May 18, 2007

Drama

When I first arrived in Japan, I often felt like I had a front-row seat to a Spanish soap opera. I couldn’t understand everything that was going on, but I could still pick up on a lot (just through body language & reactions) As I got better at Japanese, however, my coworkers - especially - would continue to talk about sensitive or personal thigngs around me, assuming I didn’t understand. It's an interesting position to be in. Sort of like seeing things through the eyes of an infant again with the mental capacity of an adult.
A few months ago, my perfect little window to the secrets of this world began to break-down when people started to realize I could understand a lot of what they were saying (especially when they talked about me, coworkers, or other foreigners in front of me). Today, however, the drama has returned.
I get gossip here and there, but I generally try to stay out of it and keep my head down in conflicts or extreme disciplinary situations. Now it involves two close coworkers (whom I both feel loyal to) and is not pretty, although I don't think most people know it's going on. It's generally pretty discreet, just not necessarily around me.
Kinda funny to be back in the audience here (interesting cultural perspective, to say the least)... but I'm keeping my head down until it blows over. Life in Japan:-P

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home