Brenda in Japan

Hailing from Minneapolis, Minnesota, Brenda McKinney is an American living and working in the Kansai region of Japan. This is an account of her life and adventures among the fine people of Nihon.

Monday, March 05, 2007

Sasayama Marathon

The marathon went well... I finished in just under 5 hours! I sprinted at the end, and jumped/clicked my heels together as I passed under the finish sign (a new tradition of mine after the 10k), but I almost broke down in tears when they put the medal around my neck. I honestly had a lot of doubts about whether or not I could do it, and I am almost surprised I finished. My running partner and I were separated at 35k (she stopped to stretch, but I didn't know if she was going to keep going), so I finished it on my own. I just remember saying to myself, 'it's time' as I put on my headphones, focused, and hit robo-mode. I have to wait for the official numbers to be released, but out of the 8,000 participants, I think 80-90% were expected to finish.

The course (around Sasayama, Japan and the surrounding areas) was really beautiful. It's a mountain area in the countryside, not far from Kyoto and famous for dinosaur discoveries (yes - Japan has them!). We started the race near old samurai castle ruins in the middle of the city, and the course wound through all the mountain villages in the area. We had to pass through 5 "gates" within a set time limit, so I felt like the extra pressure gave me the push I needed to stay on track. Despite the mountainous landscape, the slopes weren't too big, which was also good. In Japan, they let you bring your own food or energy drinks and have the staff place them at tables around the course (every 5k after 15k - there's a total of 42k). I had a big yellow sign on mine, and placed bread and a banana at 5 different stations. I basically used the food I packed as insurance and just ate once, but they should seriously offer the same deal in America. It helps.

So things were going well at first, but I slowed down for my food at 25k, and my knee started giving me a lot of pain (my biggest nightmare!). I had gotten the trainers to tape both knees before the race, but I thought I was going to have to stop. Takiko and I just looked at each other (knowing that could be "it"), but after all the training and strength exercises, I really, really did not want MY KNEE to stop me. Stubbornly, I just started to go slowly (which was almost too painful at first) and I was able fit back into pace again after a few minutes. The pain subsided, and the knee is actually still ok now. I was actually running by the end of the race (without pain). As I mentioned earlier, we had 5 pit stops to check the time, and you had to make it to each 'gate' on time (marked by a giant clock and staff) or they literally did make you get on the bus (sitting there, waiting). Once I passed the 30k gate, however, I knew I could do it. I sort of felt like I was back in second grade, playing the Nintendo car-racing game, again: refueled as I passed each gate, knowing I was a little closer. I guess 30k was just significant to me because it was the furthest I ever ran during training.

I only saw two other foreigners at the race (yes, out of 8,000 runners - not including guests), so it really was me and a lot of Japanese people! The only other foreigner I saw during the race was walking at 10k, so I doubt he made it. For all I know, I could have been the only non-Japanese particpant to finish.

My feet are blistering pretty badly (big red ones at the top of my toes - eek) and I feel a bit sore, but I am in pretty good general shape... just really tired! And no appetite. My knees feel fine right now, too (um, no major injuries...yet). It was freakishly warm today (66 degrees!), so my partner and I were also glad we didn't get heatstroke or anything. I wore black spandix pants with a 'wickable' running (short-sleeve) shirt. I almost wore a black, long-sleeve shirt, but Takiko gave me an extra one she had when we realized how hot it really was. The race provided water and cold water sponges along the course, which helped a lot with the heat.

The prep and advice from everyone was really helpful! I ate as much as I could the day before the race (thanks to Ben & Chris coming to the ramen joint with me), got plenty of sleep, and felt that, while I could have done more long runs in the months of preparation, my 'coach' (Takiko's husband) and Takiko had really given me a lot of good guidance. Amy was right about the prep schedule (and a big thank you for the shoe suggestion - I love them)! Even Greta was right about the adrenaline rush and crowds. Some American friends of mine that live in the area even came out to cheer us on! I used up a little too much energy yelling to them, but I think my friend Brandon took a picture of Takiko and I running during the race, so I will hopefully have a copy to post soon. The timing (for having been in Japan) was also good because everything was basically conducted in Japanese, so the I knew how to ask for the next gate, I understood what the crowds were saying as they cheered us on, and I could catch what my fellow runners were saying (although I think an old guy hit on me around 5k... or just wanted to let me know I was 'looking good'....hmm). I should stress that Takiko helped a lot, though.

Alright, I need to go stretch and take a bath...before I fall apart, but I am happy to report my first marathon was a sucess!!! Thanks to everyone for all the support! Much love from Japan!

2 Comments:

  • At 7:39 PM, Blogger Izzy said…

    that is awesome that you finished the marathon! congratulations! i don't think is possible to even drive 26 miles in less than 5 hours in this country. i need to look into running, i think!

     
  • At 2:47 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Congrats on the marathon! It is very impressive that you finished.. and in less than 5 hours! Hats off from Oslo!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home