Brenda in Japan

Hailing from Minneapolis, Minnesota, Brenda McKinney is an American living and working in the Kansai region of Japan. This is an account of her life and adventures among the fine people of Nihon.

Friday, March 02, 2007

Graduation Day

Today was graduation day at school. The whole thing seems a little surreal because, a) I didn’t really know what was going on most of the time and wasn’t involved in the preparations (due to the language barrier), and b) because it is February! In Japan, high school is three years and is not compulsory. In addition, the school year begins in April and is split into trimester terms.
The scene
It was a beautiful and sunny day outside (in the high 50s!), but the ceremony was held in the gym. The walls were covered with striped decorational wall covering. There was kanji written all over the decorations, but the design faintly reminded me of a circus tent (although I would not say that at school). Folding chairs lined the covered floors, all facing the stage at the front of the hall. Teachers sat to the left, special guests (visiting principals, former teachers and authority figures) to the left, the graduating class in the very front with the rest of the student body slightly behind them, and finally, the parent section behind that.
The ceremony
The ceremony began promptly at 10. I took a seat next to the nurse and one of the English teachers as mothers in black suits with corsages and first- and second-year students streamed in. The second year teachers lectured the students on appropriate manners (“sit up straight and keep your legs together”) while we all waited for the third-year students to arrive.
After a little while, the principal said something, and some soft music started to play over the loudspeakers (no live band), as each of the seven 3rd year homeroom teachers lead their class into the gym. One-by-one, each class entered according to their student numbers, in single file, taking the row nearest to the front and bowing in unison before sitting down. Once all the students were in the gym, everyone stood up, we all bowed, and the ceremony started.
The ceremony itself reminded me of what I have seen and experienced in America. They did not pass out diplomas (although I did see the homeroom teachers walking around with fancy-looking documents in ribbon to give out later on), but every homeroom teacher called each student’s name at one point, at which point the student stood up and answered with a resonant, “hai!” (or “yes”). The principal and head of the PTA gave longer speeches and we sang a few songs, including the New Years song, and the third years sang one song as a class, which I thought was a cool way to commemorate the occasion and their finals moments together. At the end of the ceremony, one of the graduating girls gave a tearful speech, while light music played in the background. I don’t know exactly what she said, but it brought most of the audience to tears.
Thoughts and Rest of the Day
I was prepared for a long, drawn-out morning (where I did not understand much), but I was happily surprised that I could pick up bits and found the experience extremely interesting. The students did not wear a cap and gown, but just their normal, dark blue uniforms (which they later drew pictures on with chalk). One teacher wore a kimono and hakama (an apron-like covering worn with kimono at college graduations) and the gym was essentially a sea of black with all of the suits. The third year male teachers (which happened to be the majority) wore black suits, with crisp white shirts and white ties. They looked really nice!

When I returned to my desk in the afternoon, I was greeted by an oversized bento (Japanese box lunch. We pay about $20 or $30 a month for special events, gifts and work parties (see 'enkai'), which seems like a lot, but I think it is actually a nice system. I and was asked to sign a few yearbooks and take multiple pictures with the students during the afternoon, while the graduating members of sports clubs came in and out of the teacher’s room to bring their coaches large bouquets and gifts. The principal gave a speech in the afternoon, and granted us permission to leave early for the day. I think the third-year teachers went out to celebrate, but I went home to run. In all, it was a fun and interesting day. I had several classes with the third years, but those that I got to know, I did not get to know that well. I am sure the ceremony will feel much different when the kids I know better are on their last day!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home