Brenda in Japan

Hailing from Minneapolis, Minnesota, Brenda McKinney is an American living and working in the Kansai region of Japan. This is an account of her life and adventures among the fine people of Nihon.

Thursday, January 25, 2007

What do we really need in life?

A good job? Family? Love? The Beatles once said, "all you need is love" but is that true? Or is it, as John Mayer (*a surprisingly excellent writer in general - check out his blog) put it: all you need is love is a lie, because we had love but we still said goodbye (speaking from yet another personal experience). This has been on my mind a lot lately. I visited one of my first American friends from Japan earlier this week and was a little dis-enheartened when she confided in me that she is debating whether or not she will stay or leave Japan. This woman has a wonderful personal situation (amazing apartment and location for almost nothing, travel stipend for her job, the opportunity to use her advanced Japanese skills), but there is one problem: her job. She has not been satisfied with her experiences here and does not find her 'career' fulfilling or challenging in the right ways. I feel like my situation is the reflection of hers, exactly the opposite in many ways. I have had a lot of personal hurdles to bear since I arrived. I know I have not written about many of them (this is a blog, not a journal; and not all of them are rooted in being here), but I am still so grateful to be here and happy. The first couple weeks I was here (when I had little contact with the outside world and way too much free time), I was not always a happy camper. To be honest, I was ready for the experience, but felt lovesick and lonely (no phone, internet or English speakers), missed home, was still trying to get on my feet here and was pretty much disappointed by my living situation. But in the months since then, things have changed. I have great friends and I love my job. I have opportunities for adventure and travel, and I am constantly learning and challenged on so many different levels.A friend was asking me last week if I consider this period of my life one of the "five careers" you go through. In a way, it is, but I see it as preparation for the bigger career and life plans rather than a career in itself (sort of like a pre-step). I know things can be hard and I will always miss things at home (and hold fond memories of so many people, places and things, even though there is a vast distance between them and I), but I also know I am happy.Anyways, I just wanted to jot down some thoughts. I am not sure what warrants success or happiness, but I think it is a lot like beauty; it is in they eye of the beholder. Maybe you do need a good job, if that is how you measure success. I do think you need family. And love is a basic human necessity. But mostly, you need to do what makes you happy. If my friend goes, for example, I will be sad. I know she is not sure if she should stay, and I guess it is all about what makes her happy, even though it is logical for her to stick around. Such is lifeā€¦

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home