Brenda in Japan

Hailing from Minneapolis, Minnesota, Brenda McKinney is an American living and working in the Kansai region of Japan. This is an account of her life and adventures among the fine people of Nihon.

Thursday, January 18, 2007

The Big (b-) Day has come and gone!

Today has certainly been a peculiar day for a birthday. Or maybe I just feel peculiar because 25 seems older to me. Ok, yes, it’s a quarter of a century and all that (oh, and I get cheaper car insurance!), but it is the mark of maturity as well. I am no longer a child. Young still, yes, but now totally grown up. Just seems substantial to me, in some way...

My friend Jane surprised me with breakfast from the bakery, which was one of the best birthday presents I could have gotten. She carried it around with her all night in Kobe last night and revealed what it was as we were saying goodbyes at the apartment building. I love things you want or could use, but will not buy for yourself; and surprises are the best. Like a song you like that someone took the time to burn for you. Simple and small ones that mean a lot to you (not because they are big and expensive, but because they took a lot of thought) are the BEST.

Things were pretty normal at work. We took a (half minute-long) moment of silence in the morning to remember the victims of the Hanshin Earthquake of 1995 and a lot of people talked about their experiences throughout the day. A few people remembered my birthday, which was sweet, but I told one of the people I was close to as I was leaving and she was so upset I hadn't told anyone sooner. It's hard to say, 'HEY! It's my birthday!!' sometimes, though... especially when you have just honored victims of a horrible tragedy. Seems inapproriate.

I am basically a day ahead so the only birthday wishes I got during my birthday here were essentially the early ones. Kind of funny… I had a meeting and club after work, and then had to run errands, so I got home late and went out to pizza with my friend Kelly and Clam (my collective name for my friends Tam and Clayton). We went to the all-you-can-eat place in Befu. Kelly and I were going to go to Kobe, but we decided to go on her birthday in 2 weeks instead and stay close since it was late. We have a conference tomorrow and the next day, so we need to be up and out tomorrow morning... and Saturday is when the real celebrations are going down.
So, yeah, that was it! I know I have future opportunities to celebrate coming up, so we'll see what I write after Saturday ;)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home