Brenda in Japan

Hailing from Minneapolis, Minnesota, Brenda McKinney is an American living and working in the Kansai region of Japan. This is an account of her life and adventures among the fine people of Nihon.

Monday, January 01, 2007

New Years day

I can't believe it's the 31st today. Only one year ago I was sitting in a white snowbank in WI and now I am sitting on a white beach. Kelly and I were actually juggling with two ideas for New Years while in Bangkok, and ended up heading south to the islands instead of east. When we arrived on Koh Samui (after a 15 hour trip) we weren't sure it was the best idea after being informed about the stunning beaches on Koh Chang (the alternative) from other travelers. The grusomely rainy weather report was a potential set-back, but so far... it has been STUNNING. The weather reports (and even the monsoon warning) turned out to be completely wrong. Growing up, my family went on 'educational trips' rather than beach vacations, so still feels a little wrong to just lie around on the beach while we are here (our hut is on the sand), but it's been nice to relax for a while. I am currently sporting a lovely dark-pink sunburn from my sunny day on the beach today, but I feel very fulfilled after swimming in a tropical lagoon (with waterfall) after the elephant trek yesterday morning.
Out and About on our island Paradise
We took a short safari with a local company who showed us the lagoon; we also learned how to make Thai curry (the red, not the green or white), get coconuts off a tree (from a monkey, actually - although Kelly is still amazed by how excited I am about this considering she grew with coconut trees) and also learned how to tap rubber trees. And, best yet, we got to ride an elephant. The elephants in Thailand are not as massive as those in India (we saw both breeds today, although they are all huge). They were kind animals, though, and it was fun (albeit a little worrisome going downhill - you practically need a seatbelt - we almost fell off!). The sunburn is starting to be a bit of a problem, but we walked to town (10 minutes down the beach - very nice for jogging actually) and got an aloe-wrap massage to help with the sting. We have been getting massages on a daily basis so far, and the aloe was one of my favorite. I was not as fond of the Thai pressure-point massage as I thought I would be. It's been interesting to take note of some of the techniques they use, though. I almost laughed when they did the toe-snapping 'release of the chi' that Randi taught us at CLV a few years ago, as well as some other moves I have learned to be Thai but have never seen in full use. If i had more time here, I would take the 3-day massage course for licensure... I bet some people I know would find it a plus ;)
Riding in Style
We rented scooters two nights ago and visited some sights around the deceivingly-small island as well. I was definately channeling Gregory Peck and Audrey Hepburn in Roman Holiday as I zoomed through palm-spotted highways while the warm breeze swept across my bare shoulders, beneath the round helmet. It was divine! Of course, the fun halted when I crashed the bike the next evening, cracking the break handle, but thankfully noone was hurt and the damages came to around $5. Let's just hope the crashes are out of my system, though, because that is an experience I definately want to relive!!
Night life
Last night we went to a regae club in the big town on the island with the Brits from the next hut over . The cover band at the place was good and it was fun to dance a bit, but I hit the hey way before everyone else (around 1 - they were up until 7!). It was fun, but I am still not used to going out on the island. The sight of all of the old, foreign men with young thai women and all of the prostitutes dancing in front of every bar (some of them looking really young) just makes me a little sick and kind of sad. I think you can choose to ignore it, but it is interesting to see the side of Thailand you hear rumors about. I wish I could do something about it, and it makes me happy to know that at least people like Marylin Carlson Nelson (my old CEO and one of the most amazing women I have ever encountered) are making changes on a higher level in the battle against child trafficing.
The Countdown
We are heading out to the party soon (arranged a round-trip ticket to Koh Pan-Ngang, the next island north for the big party). Hotels are booked on the entire island, so we decided to keep our base and just stay at the party until 3:30 or 5:30 (we have a choice) and take the shuttle home. I am a little nervous about how big these parties are supposed to get, but should be a good night. More soon! Happy New years!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home