Brenda in Japan

Hailing from Minneapolis, Minnesota, Brenda McKinney is an American living and working in the Kansai region of Japan. This is an account of her life and adventures among the fine people of Nihon.

Monday, January 01, 2007

A New Years on Sunrise Beach (Koh Pan-Ngang)

The NYE party was out of control! Thousands and thousands of people (20,000 was the latest count) on the beach with the mountains and coconut trees surrounding us. it was so beautiful. There were bars lining the beach, with people hanging out of them and dancing (mostly tourists)... probably not dissimilar from Cancun. They made big signs saying 'happy new years 2007' that they put on the beach, soaked in kerosine, and lit on fire at midnight. There were also a lot of fireworks and paper lanterns (with candles inside) floating out to sea. Just taking the boat over wasnt bad at all, and there were a lot of people on the same package so we met some cool folks (some of them also living in Japan). Toward the end of the night, I somehow switched my bucket/drink (with rum, coke, etc - the island specialty) with another (like I had a red one and then suddenly I realized the one I was drinking from was green...scary when you dont know whats in it!!). My friend and I werent feeling great after that (I swear it was the green bucket) so we took the early boat home, getting home and in bed around 5. Despite the end, it was fun. Biggest beach party on earth and a really crazy night...thai style!!

I have friends from Japan celebrating in Bangkok right now, and I have to say i was a little nervous when I read about the bombings in Bangkok last night. I am sure they are ok, but in the wake of Hussein's death, I am honestly not surprised by (even though I abhor) the surge in violence. I know it's NYE, but it was good to hear that a lot of venues in the capital city (literally packed with tourists) cancelled their celebration plans as a precaution. Better to be safe than sorry. No problems here, but still a frightening prospect.

On the topic of New Years in other places, I was also just reading the news about the record crowds in Times Square. If/when I move to Boston I want to go home for Christmas and then go back and do NYE there...its only about an hour away and would be so awesome! On home turf, too :) I know it's another packed arena and a prime location for something to happen... but you can't live your life in fear and it looks like something you should experience at least once.

So anyways, I hope everyone had a safe and very merry New Years eve! Here's to a fabulous 2007 filled with laughter, adventure and growth!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home