Brenda in Japan

Hailing from Minneapolis, Minnesota, Brenda McKinney is an American living and working in the Kansai region of Japan. This is an account of her life and adventures among the fine people of Nihon.

Monday, January 01, 2007

Khao San Road

If you have ever traveled through Bangkok, you will probably understand the joke (and really get a kick out of this). I just found this t-shirt:

Khao San Road Syndrome
1. I shall wear as big a backpack as possible to bear proud witness of my creed.
2. I shall not leave Khao San Road without a Lonely Plant gyude.
3. I shall wear the traditional international backpacker’s uniform and don at least one piece of local clothing (e.g.conical hat in Vietnam, a krama in Cambodia, etc) to show my ones with Asian people.
4. I shall eat banana pancakes and phat thai on a regular basis, for it is quintessential Asian food.
5. I shall stay in the cheapest guest house. More money for beer.
6. I shall drink the local beer, for I shall always endeavor to be in tune with local culture and because it is cheapest.
7. I shall make pilgrimage to a Full Moon Party on Hat Rin at least once in my life.
8. I shall bargain without mercy and hone my skill to a sharp edge, so that I can proudly proclaim our sacred motto, “I get it for less than the Local.”
9. I shall not leave Khao San Road without having my hair colored, dreadlocked, corn-rolled or shaved off.

Brilliant! So Khoa San Road is basically ‘backpacker alley’, the hub for tourists in bustling Bangkok. And when you go, you’ll know why this is funny… consider this a verbal picture!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home