Brenda in Japan

Hailing from Minneapolis, Minnesota, Brenda McKinney is an American living and working in the Kansai region of Japan. This is an account of her life and adventures among the fine people of Nihon.

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

My First Trembler

I just had my first earthquake. I am not sure how big it was, but it definitely woke me up, which is quite the feat. I remember being jolted awake, and then feeling the bed jerking from side to side, but that is about it. I had some pretty strange dreams last night, however (inspired by The Last Kiss, the Last Movie I wish I would have seen...), so I had assumed it was part of the dream and didn't recall actually waking up until my friend mentioned it this evening. I also just saw an article about the huge quakes ravishing through Indonesia, but the article did not list a time (only level) and we are still pretty far from SE Asia, so I am not sure if there was a connection. All I know is that we are both in the 'circle of fire', which spells potential issues.

I think I have mentioned it before, but I am actually completely frightened by earthquakes. Living in one of the most earthquake prone countries in the world, however, I have tried to educate myself more (via personal research and talking to people about their experiences, taking trips to museums and education centers, and seeing the actual fault line of the great Hanshin earthquake and the park with preserved damage). It's getting better, but I am glad that I was sleeping when the first one happened and hardly remembered it...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home