Brenda in Japan

Hailing from Minneapolis, Minnesota, Brenda McKinney is an American living and working in the Kansai region of Japan. This is an account of her life and adventures among the fine people of Nihon.

Friday, January 26, 2007

To re-contract or not re-contract; that is NOT the question.

I have read blogs listing friends’ reasons or pro’s and con’s for/against staying longer in another country (particularly Japan), but I am not going to do that. I’ll just say I am staying another year because I like it here, I am happy, and I can’t possibly imagine moving back just yet (um, and I didn’t apply to schools this year so I have to wait anyways).

So, yes, it’s official... I am here until at least 2008!

I have a class in a few minutes so I have to keep this short. I have done this lesson a few times and am prepared with handouts, but I felt it necessary to write (I am so filled with emotion right now!). I just submitted to my supervisor a little piece with a simple, yet monumental message: I am re-contracting. I know this is not a huge surprise to many, and is definitely a life-affecting event, but I know it is the right thing to do and wanted to share:)

Sidenote:
By the way, on the subject of the joy of schools, all of the teachers are crowded around the board near my desk right now. It seems an extraordinarily large number of first-years are out sick with the flu. One of my coworkers had it, and now I am feeling sick. I know working at an elementary school can be dangerous for these things, but I was kind of hoping I would not have to go through this at the high school level. The Japanese are really diligent about being at work through thick and thin, and go to the hospital (not a ‘minute Cinic’ like we do) when they are not feeling well. If you're not sick enough to go to the hospital, you are not sick enough to miss work. They also rarely use all their vacation (sort of a faupaux). Still working on that... definaly not following the cultural norm on the vacation time, though (if I have to pull out the American in me, it might as well be somewhere... I didn't do it in America, but there is no way I'm wasting my travel opportunities here).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home