Brenda in Japan

Hailing from Minneapolis, Minnesota, Brenda McKinney is an American living and working in the Kansai region of Japan. This is an account of her life and adventures among the fine people of Nihon.

Friday, March 02, 2007

Exam Time

It's exam time right now, and I'm doing ok here. I wrote all the exams a few weeks ago, finished the interview tests, and recorded what I needed for the listening test last week, so now I am basically correcting the mountain of notebooks on my desk and, well, hanging out. I know it sounds boring, but surprisingly enough, I am not the only one with little too do. One of the third year teachers admitted he really has nothing to do now that the students are done (until school starts again - in APRIL!), but this is not uncommon. The correct response to the situation is to look busy. Sometimes you see people sleeping at their desks, but that Sensei in the back of the room who is always very busy may very well be playing solitaire. I guess I shouldn't complain about all the notebooks. It gives me something to do, and I could always be reading or studying Japanese. I am contemplating taking the Foreign Service Written Exam, as well, so I could definately be preparing for that!

In other news, the marathon is on Sunday. The Japanese use the word 'maratan' (yes, basically the same) to describe any race, whether it be a 5k or, in my case, a 42k. So while I have been telling friends I am running a race, I have recently discovered that a lot of them thought I was doing a 5k or something...not the full shibang. Anyways, I really think I can finish, but I am worried about the time limit. Why in the world this is the ONLY race I have ever heard of with a time limit, I don't know?! But if I get kicked out, I am just going to try again!! And when I finish it... I can be happy knowing I ran a harder-than-usual marathon (well, sort of)...and kicked it's butt! I have to eat as much as I can before the race, so I'm going out for ramen with friends and going to bed tomorrow night. I have to work all day, but I don't really have anything to do (again), so I'm just going to rent movies and bring them to school. If anything, I can watch them in my classroom while I correct notebooks. I get a comp day, so it works out well because I can take it when Claire comes and get a 5-day weekend! I probably should not be admitting all of this online, but such is (my) life, so why not.

Alright, that is all I have for now. Back to the notebooks!

1 Comments:

  • At 3:47 PM, Blogger Gunnar said…

    Good luck on Sunday!

    A time limit usually just means that those finishing after the limit get "exceeded time limit" as their official result, are you sure they actually kick you out? Not that you should worry about that, because you are a winner! And a leader! ;)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home