Brenda in Japan

Hailing from Minneapolis, Minnesota, Brenda McKinney is an American living and working in the Kansai region of Japan. This is an account of her life and adventures among the fine people of Nihon.

Friday, March 02, 2007

Racism? Part Two.

I had an interesting experience at school yesterday. For the first time since I arrived, a coworker actually personally offended me. Ok, I have gotten a few comments that would not fly in America. For example, one of my coworkers comes up to me each day and asks me about English phrases he hears on TV and in the movies. After the last break, he wanted to check the usage of a new one, being“doubly blessed.” I told him I needed to hear it used in context and he basically told me he had gotten two girls in the Philippines over the weekend and wanted to express his amusement. I was shocked, but, yeah, it was ok here. During my formal re-contracting interview, one of the achievements another coworker quoted to my principal (about my time here so far) was ,”being very popular with the male students,” and when Kristin came to visit school two weeks ago, the same teacher told her that the male teachers really loved having me here (in another formal introduction!). This, I feel, is cultural (even if it is still not appropriate). I think part of it has to do with the fact that these ‘offenses’ were by men, and I have thus far just tried to learn from them and not react too dramatically.
However, when a teacher told me I should not bow anymore yesterday afternoon, I was pretty shocked. She definitely meant it in an (unassumingly) racist way, explaining that non-Japanese people should not bow because they cannot truly understand the culture and it can come across as “mockery” (we looked the word up on an electronic dictionary, so I am quite clear on what she meant). She said she knows that I was not mocking anyone when I did it, but non-Japanese people – in general – should just not try to be Japanese (because they are not and will never be). Anyways, I was offended. I mean, bowing is not inert or natural to me. When I bow to the vice principal every morning, I do it out of respect for him and for his culture and customs. Learning the different levels of bowing has been covered in many orientations and workshops that I have attended, and a basic familiarity (or at least knowledge) of this custom is necessary when conducting business or spending time in Japan. While she might feel this way, not bowing would be considered extremely rude by many people.
I think what struck me the most was the fact that this is the teacher that is introducing a course on Japanese immigration to America. She has been really interested in all of the hardships and discrimination Japanese immigrants encountered in America (particularly during time of WWII) and we have talked a great deal about this in preparation for the upcoming course. Is it just me, or is there not a connection here with people trying to adjust in new cultures and having trouble understanding the new setting? Ok, ok... I do have a cushy situation in many ways and have the luxury of emailing friends and being able to go to foreign restaraunts here, but those that come to visit me will be surprised to see that I really can be the only foreigner around and stick out like a sore thumb a lot of the time. Not many people speak English (even though they learn it in school), so language can be a huge issue, and because I look different, I will never, ever, truly be accepted or fit in in this society. People stop me or give me attention because I look different all the time. I am new here, so it still amuses me. But to them, I am just this foreign creature. For all they know, I could have been here one day, three years or forty. It doesn’t matter.. I am different. Because of these reasons, I feel like I can somewhat relate (on a low level) to what the Japanese-American immigrants might haev felt. My grandparents were immigrants to America, and I have studied the great immigration, too.
I consider this teacher a friend, so maybe I should be more grateful that my coworkers are opening up to me (candidly) about their thoughts and opinions. But part of the reason I am here is to teach them that the world is not that big of a place. It is good to cherish and protect your heritage and culture. Just be respectful when doing it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home