Brenda in Japan

Hailing from Minneapolis, Minnesota, Brenda McKinney is an American living and working in the Kansai region of Japan. This is an account of her life and adventures among the fine people of Nihon.

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Train Pass...

So for the last two and a half years, I've spent $120 a MONTH to get to work (about $6 each day for the train fare, plus about 15-20 minutes of walking time). Yeah, I know, my school or the Board of Ed should pay for it. They do for all my coworkers and force me to live where I do (the distance from work...), but there is no stipulation in my contract that says they have to and I tried - trust me, I did - to no avail to get them to take mercy and help me out on this.

So on Monday, I was talking to a student at my new/visit high school (conveniently located near my house) who lives near my regular/base high school. Turns out she has a one-month pass on the Sanyo Line that costs her about $40 (which is a WEEK for me). I went to the station yesterday to check out the train pass situation and the reason this student's pass is so cheap is that they are cheaper for children and students (but, as an adult, I would end up paying about the same amount or slightly less than I do now).

However... I am now starting to wonder if I could get one of my kids to buy the pass FOR me. Can't believe I didn't think of this sooner... I have spent over $3,000 on trains to get to work. Hmm.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home