Brenda in Japan

Hailing from Minneapolis, Minnesota, Brenda McKinney is an American living and working in the Kansai region of Japan. This is an account of her life and adventures among the fine people of Nihon.

Friday, April 03, 2009

Stripes & Platforms on Parade

Here is another sort of frivolous commentary piece... but feel like it has to be said.

The headline on Yahoo’s homepage today is all about Jlo’s “sassy stripes” – or the outfit she wore to a recent Samantha Thavesa (purse designer) event in Tokyo.

I quickly saw this picture on some news or trend site the other day and didn’t think anything of it. To be honest, she looks like half of the women in Kobe and sort of even LOOKS Japanese to me (am I alone here people in Japan?).

The American press seem to have since gotten hold of the Assoc. Press shots, however, and are having a field day with the apparently bold statement of this wardrobe choice.

I fear I'm getting a little out of touch. This outfit is trendy, yes, but really nothing out of the ordinary. Even the shoes. They’re pretty big and I might make a comment if I saw them on the street – but again, wouldn’t even be surprised to see them... nor shy or embarrassed to wear this myself. Maybe Japan is a bit ahead or I've just been here too long and am used to it?

Here's the address for the article if the link didn't work: http://omg.yahoo.com/photos/2-hot-2-handle/2779?nc :-p

1 Comments:

  • At 7:12 PM, Blogger Two said…

    I agree with you. It's nothing special but then I live in Japan too. And weren't black and white stripes the shiz 2yrs ago when Gwen Stefani was rocking them? Yahoo is a bit annoying like that! Google needs to eat them lol

     

Post a Comment

<< Home