Brenda in Japan

Hailing from Minneapolis, Minnesota, Brenda McKinney is an American living and working in the Kansai region of Japan. This is an account of her life and adventures among the fine people of Nihon.

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

The Weekend Review - from Yakiniku to Rokko

We are still on spring break right now, maybe the first one that I've completely stuck around for since I came. Work is very quiet (meaning I have zero responsibilities but still have to go), so I have been spending most of my time on the net, reading 0r else essentially just organizing stuff (like my desk, classroom, etc) for the new and upcoming school year and for the person who replaces me this summer. Even with that, though, it can still get a little boring. Sounds like a dream job to have as much freedom and flexibility, but gets to you after a while when there is literally nothing to do and you still have to be here. I personally think I'm alright at finding projects and things to do (and could always be studying Japanese...), but I now remember why I usually travel during these times... and am counting down the days until classes start :-p

Outside of school, though... just had a pretty awesome weekend. The weather still isn't that nice yet, but spring is coming quickly and it's allowed for us to spend quite a bit of time outside :)

On Thursday evening, I started the weekend festivities early by going to my friend Emerald's house for yakiniku (Korean BBQ) with some other friends. Emerald - who's mom is a famous food critic in Taiwan and who wants to go to cooking school after Japan herself (talent runs in the family)- made a delicious pumpkin soup, tofu & onion salad and several amazing glazes for the chicken, pork and LAMB we roasted on her yakiniku plate (see pic below). We also played Chinese chess and Idiot, my favorite card game, before most of us had to bike home. Great night!

Friday was also pretty laid back. I watched 'Road to Perdition' (good movie) for the first time while I was decorating my classroom and then I biked home from work and caught a train to Himeji for the opening of Emerald's photo exhibition at Treehouse, a cute little cafe/gallery in the main shopping arcade. Dave met me at the station and had planned to go with, but he was still pretty sick from a bad bug he caught and had to go home to get to bed early. I stayed for a while longer, however, to chat with some of Emerald's friends from Osaka and listen to her friend Doug play some of the music he composed for the Biwa (a traditional Japanese instrument). It was pretty cool!

I tried to upload a video of the Biwa performance, but for some reason it's not working (security issues on the work computer perhaps)? I'll either upload later or put on Facebook. I had never heard of the Biwa before Emerald told me about Doug's music a few weeks ago, but I really liked it!

On Saturday morning, I was up respectable early and met the old ladies for our session. Afterwards, I grabbed some Subway (only chance I get to have turkey around here!) and biked home so I could get to Amagasaki for the first HANAMI of the season! Hanami literally means 'flower-viewing' and is a cherry blossom party (usually picnic under the trees), but I would call it a national pastime or sub-culture in Japan rather than just a definition. Actually, Hanami is one of the best things about Japan!

A group of us went to Nishimuko Park, and it was pretty fun just sitting and chatting. It's unfortunately a little too cold to stay out for too long yet, but we ended the night with a BBQ at Dave's house. Makes me really excited for summer!

And that was about it! On Sunday, I went for a shorter hike around Mt. Rokko with Dave and Chris. We just did a little loop this time, but the walk included amazing off-trail exploration. 

We all got kind of muddy (Chris fell into the river, I almost missed when I jumped from one bank to another & Dave slid down a hill), but we did it in pursuit of finding the perfect picnic spots... and I think we might have been successful :) 

After the hike, we headed straight for Umeda (Osaka), dirt and all, to meet up with the rest of the group to celebrate our friend Emi - who not only just finished the TOEFL that morning... but also got engaged to Chris this week! Hurrah :) As usual, we went to Himalaya (the all-you-can-eat-Indian place) and left almost unable to walk after filling our bellies with much naan and several a mango lassi. What bliss!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home