Brenda in Japan

Hailing from Minneapolis, Minnesota, Brenda McKinney is an American living and working in the Kansai region of Japan. This is an account of her life and adventures among the fine people of Nihon.

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Snack Attack

OK, I have a confession to make. I’m totally hording candy and snacks in my desk.

Each month, I pay into a snack fund at work to buy snacky foods like rice cakes (senbei), pretzel sticks, nuts, candy & chocolate, tea, coffee, gum, etc, etc. Each grade group does this and we keep all the snacks in a cabinet near our area, so you can just take whatever you like when you like it. One person is responsible for going shopping for the stuff every month I think most people pay somewhere between ¥1,000-2,000, but since I leave earlier than the homeroom teachers (who can be here until 10pm sometimes) and thus snack less… I pay less and consider it a pretty good deal.

I definitely take advantage of the tea, but the problem is that we keep the snacks in a cabinet and all the good ones go really fast & usually after hours, when I'm not here.  I think they're just hiden in the cabinet so the kids don't know we have food (because they're not supposed to eat during the day, outside of lunch).  Anyways, just feeling a little guilty because these treats are the healthiest (even if it's rice) and I really don't need to hoard... but... maybe it doesn't hurt if my share is just hidden in my desk... just in case I do want some...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home