Brenda in Japan

Hailing from Minneapolis, Minnesota, Brenda McKinney is an American living and working in the Kansai region of Japan. This is an account of her life and adventures among the fine people of Nihon.

Thursday, November 20, 2008

Writing Finals & Cultural Issues (?)

I am so glad we have a long weekend coming up, and I’m really looking forward to going back to the foreigner cabins in Okayama. This time we’re going to the island villa, which is supposed to be the nicest, too. No swimming, but more than one person has raved about the scenery and facilities. I did get a late invitation to a Thanksgiving dinner with an American family that I am a little bummed about having to turn down, but we still have a (potluck) Thanksgiving dinner at a friend's house next week and I fully expect biking & exploring in Okayama to be just as nice for the upcoming three-day. Just crossing my fingers that it doesn’t rain!

Today is going alright (only one class and it was a fun one), but I’m supposed to be writing tests right now and I’m starting to get a little distracted by some frustrations I have with one of my coworkers. I know I don't write about things like this here (again, mostly because they don't really happen too often and I don't think this is a forum for complaints, etc), but I also feel like it's worth explaining a situation I think is more common than people realize (possibly in the hope of getting some feedback from someone else who has dealt with this)... ok, or maybe to just vent, too.

Basically, the problem is that I don't think one of my coworkers in the English department understands my English and the misunderstandings and situations it leads to are really getting to me. I'll tell you a little more about it, but the issue today is generally based on the tests that are due next week.


So a few weeks ago, a different coworker and I discussed the upcoming final exams and decided that I would write a certain final for the first-year English courses. Great, easy, done. We agreed upon a due date (just the date that tests are due for all teachers), and that was that for a few weeks. I guess I simply didn't think about it for a while because we were still in classes, I had other things going on, my lessons are all test-oriented anyways (so writing the test would be easy) and, well, I've done this a few times over now and am confident in my understanding of the process.

The one catch to this structure, however, is that I actually share a lot of classes, and this specific class that I am writing the test for has a few other teachers. So, out of courtesy and to keep everyone informed, I voluntarily approached my coworkers to tell them what I was planning to test on and to let them know that my personal deadline for finishing the test is Friday (so they'd know they could see the test a bit before the real deadline).


That was yesterday. Now, the problem is that one of of the coworkers I told about the test keeps asking me over and over again if I have finished the test yet, which is not due until next week and I don't turn into her anyways. This woman has seriously asked me about it several times already today and she seems so nervous (almost shaky) when she talks to me sometimes that it sort of throws me off guard a bit. The last time she asked, I told her I was working on something else and would have it done tomorrow (like I told her)... but I got sort of a blank stare back.


Hmm. Ok. I think this woman just really wants to see a written copy of the test (or anything, really) because her reading skills are much better than her listening skills in English and she didn’t understand what I was saying about the deadline (like maybe she possibly thinks I was telling her that I had a deadline that I wanted her to help me with?). She does speak English (and can teach the grammar, I suppose), but it's an issue when she can't handle a one-on-one conversation, even at a slower rate, because these small situations are taking place far too often. I think it's more of a confidence thing (her getting stressed out or overwhelmed about talking to me) than anything... but how to make it better?

I've tried to talk to this colleague more (mostly about none-worl-related-things) to improve our relationship, I print out articles in English that I like and think she would also enjoy and I have said we should go out to lunch, but it's taken me a long time to realize that maybe this really is just a language barrier issue (in terms of natural vs. textbook use). It just happens all the time and I really feel that it's a little ridiculous (especially since it's involved more important matters than just a test deadline... like an application for something not getting turned in once).

I can communicate in Japanese, but I would never in a hundred years consider myself qualified to teach it at my current level. In Japan, all you need to do is be able to read, write and decipher English grammar well to be at a (very) basic teaching level, so while most English educators far surpass these basics in English education, it is possible for some to get less opportunity to harvest speaking and listening skills if they are more focused on the grammar points (that matter for tests, etc). Even after years and years of teaching, some English teachers in Japan may not speak English that well. This can especially apply to the ability to nurture natural speaking skills or use English at a natural pace. That's why Japan has invested so, so, so much money in having foreigners like me come here (to work in schools and government offices)... BUT...



Wow, I feel like I've just revealed a dirty little secret. Whew... I know things will get better, but maybe the lingering cough is making me impatient or cranky. Definitely time for that long weekend!

ANYWAYS, we have a short day due to a seminar on Human Rights this afternoon so I’m going to spend the rest of the day correcting, making tests and working on an article. Lots of computer time, but kind of relaxing.

I think I've blogged enoughf or the day, but hope you’re having a wonderful day (or - as one friend just wrote to me: “I hope your days are filled with chocolate-covered sunshine”) wherever you are and more updates soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home