Brenda in Japan

Hailing from Minneapolis, Minnesota, Brenda McKinney is an American living and working in the Kansai region of Japan. This is an account of her life and adventures among the fine people of Nihon.

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Going Home Sick

Well, it's Tuesday, but I feel like this is going to be a long week. I was up most of the night coughing, so I'm just going to teach one first year class now (gotta get them all done or we can't include this lesson on the test) and skip the rest of my schedule to go home and rest. I probably shouldn't even have come in. One kid has the flu (so the outbreak has begun) and I've gotten two comments on the bags under my eyes today, but then again, yappari (pretty typical for me).

I really don't want to go to the hospital (which you go to whether you have a cold or a broken arm here!), but one of my coworkers convinced me that I should probably at least talk to a doc, so I might stop at the Ear, Nose & Throat place in Harimacho on the way home. I've been there before and think I can handle it without a translator. There's also no way I'm biking there once I hit my apartment so I might as well go on the way and get it over with. It's gotten bitterly cold in the last few days, so while this is a lingering (head) cold, I am also just wondering if my body is adjusting to the drastic change in temperature (yes, I'm from Minnesota... but we are always in the heat and have shoes on at all times) or if it really could be allergies. Either way (and whether the doc can identify with or not)... bring on the antibiotics.

I also had sort of a moment this morning when I signed a form officially stating that I will be leaving Japan this summer. I have the option to re-contract for another year, but I know it's time to go. I never even thought I would be here this long. Glad I did stay and I know I will miss it here, but I know I am also ready to end this chapter of my life after three years.

I need to get going to class (and then home and/or to the doc) so I'll post another update later. Blah... hope you guys are feeling better than me, though... and 居つけて(to all of you in Japan!)。

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home