Brenda in Japan

Hailing from Minneapolis, Minnesota, Brenda McKinney is an American living and working in the Kansai region of Japan. This is an account of her life and adventures among the fine people of Nihon.

Friday, November 14, 2008

Kalamata Greece

I wrote about this a few weeks ago, but I am starting the process to get my dual citizenship with Greece (which also entitles me to an EU passport).  As part of this process, I have also been reading more about the place where my family is from and still lives, the Peloponnese region, or more specifically, the city of Kalamata.  

Now, I knew Kalamata was famous for olives (my family actually owns an olive farm and once a vinyard - our name means "wine maker"), but what I didn't know is that Kalamata itself actually comes from kala ommata, or beautiful eyes.

OK, so I can see you thinking "um, and...?" or that this post is starting to go a little too "random" in the way my posts sometimes do, but I swear there's a point.  You see, while my mother has the thick, curly black hair and olive skin, I ended up with my dad's light brown hair from the Scottish side. The one thing that I do always get comments on in Greece (and in other travels about my Greek heritage), however, is my eyes. Apparently this trait -that I share with my mom, brother and at least one cousin in Greece - is my one, visual connection to this heritage.  

I just thought the origin of our Greek hometown's name was a funny coincidence...

αντίο!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home