Brenda in Japan

Hailing from Minneapolis, Minnesota, Brenda McKinney is an American living and working in the Kansai region of Japan. This is an account of her life and adventures among the fine people of Nihon.

Friday, November 28, 2008

"What are you thankful for?"

After doing a lesson about holidays and events with one of my 2nd year classes, I did a fill-in-the-blank reading exercise and ended with something kinda fun.  

Yup, that's right... hand turkeys!  

Ok, ok... so this activity is generally reserved for elementary school students, I know, but I thought it would be kind of fun to incorporate some drawing and cultural activity into our writing and English practice.  I definitely think the kids enjoyed it, too.  Check it out:

This  girl was most grateful for rugby, her boyfriend (he plays rugby), her friends and her family.

This boy is obviously really into baseball.  I thought the "globe" comment was pretty cute (v & b can be confusing)

Turkeys aren't common in Japan and my kids didn't all understand that the gobbler (or red part under the neck) wasn't a beard. Some of them changed it into a mohawk. Then, to take it one step further, this kid also asked me what you would call a "yanki" in English. Well, yanki is the word for a certain stereotype of person.  I would call it a hick or redneck, but they are often cigarette-wielding, Louis Vuitton-toting 13 year-old kids... so I went with punk. And the student went with "punk turkey".  Pretty funny! 

The other baseball boy that sits next to the boy above also drew a yanki turkey. Notice the gobbler on its head and cigarette (I almost missed that part...).  

Last but not least, I liked the little pictures on this girl's turkey, especially the one of her homeroom teacher (on her pointer finger).  During class, the student asked me if I knew who the picture was of.  When I said I didn't, she made the hair longer (since her homeroom teacher's hair goes past her waist). A plus for accuracy. This one also got the gobbler in the right spot, too (not sure if the small, blue turkey to the left was practice, though?).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home