Brenda in Japan

Hailing from Minneapolis, Minnesota, Brenda McKinney is an American living and working in the Kansai region of Japan. This is an account of her life and adventures among the fine people of Nihon.

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

In Minnesota, the Re-Count begins...

It's definitely been an interesting couples of weeks watching my home state's senatorial election unfold over the international media channels, especially now that we are going to a re-count. And while I am generally reluctant to post anything revealing my personal politics online (ok, there have been a few exceptions to that recently...), I've been getting regular updates from the Franken team and I thought some of you might find it interesting to see what information Franken's camp is sending out to their supporters.
Here's the most recent email:

Dear Friend,

At recount sites across the state, the hand count of 2.9 million ballots has begun. And, thanks to our team, we have over 2,000 trained volunteer observers, we're ready to make sure that every vote is properly counted.

In the end, politicians don't decide who wins elections - the voters do. And our job now is to make sure that the voters' voice is clearly heard. To do that, we've kept our people-powered machine up and running. And that's expensive. But you helped to build this campaign and get it off the ground, and I know I can count on you to help bring it in for a landing.

I know it's been a long campaign - but we've got important work to do. This week in Washington, DC, I met with Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid and, in addition to briefing him on what's going on here in Minnesota, we talked about the exciting legislative agenda our caucus has planned. I can't wait to roll up my sleeves and get to work for the people of Minnesota.

But first, we need to count all the votes. This might take a few weeks, but I'm cautiously optimistic that at the end of the recount, we'll be on top. And I'm absolutely confident that, with your help, we'll ensure that every voter's voice is heard.

Your contribution - whether it's $25, $50, $100, or more - will help us to keep our campaign going strong until every vote is counted.

Thank you for everything,