Brenda in Japan

Hailing from Minneapolis, Minnesota, Brenda McKinney is an American living and working in the Kansai region of Japan. This is an account of her life and adventures among the fine people of Nihon.

Thursday, October 30, 2008

Strange Day

I am catching a cold and am particularly feeling it today. I am sure I need to sleep more and will probably dip into the supply of American cold medicines that I brought with me to battle this, but it really sucks to talk for an hour straight (five times in a day) when your head is swimming. Yowzas... feeling a littel woozy.


That being said, today has been a funny one. I have the ESS Hallowee party after school (I'll post pics from carving pumpkins later) and we did a Halloween lesson/party with my second-year English Expressions class earlier today. I was going to do the Thriller song and dance with them, but they seemed a little intimidated by the dance when we watched the video, so we ended up doing the "Casper-Cha-Cha" instead. It was really fun in the end and better review for directions than I realized it would be beforehand. When we did bobbing for apples, none of the students wanted to get wet, so it ended up just being a coworker and myself dunking our heads in the bowl. My mascara was everywhere after the game, but one of the kids was laughing so hard he was crying... so was I, actually... and we used English, so I'm happy.


I had a class immediately after the Halloween party/lesson and some of my kids were a little confused about what had just gone on in the previous hour (why I looked like I had been crying, for example), so I decided to don my with's hat for an impromptu introduction to Halloween. I asked some questions about what Halloween is and ir's orgins, and thought it would be good to give the kids candy as rewards for correct answers. Well, I pulled out my jack-o-lantern shaped bag full of candy, and my coworker got really upset, saying that we weren't allowed to have candy in class. At first I was a little shocked by the reaction, because other teachers have definitely encouraged this stuff from me (especially when it's American candy and for a special event... especially Halloween!). Some of the students were also a little sour for the rest of the class (puting because because they didn't get a treat), but I later learned that many of the teachers had related a new policy about not having candy at school just a few hours earlier (during homeroom), so I can understand the effort to enforce new rules. I am just not always the strictest teacher, so I was surprised about the sudden good-cop-bad-cop game and more restrictive conditions.


But anyways...


I think I am going to run to the post office and get some packages (and my ballot!) out so I've gotta run. Blah. Peace!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home