Brenda in Japan

Hailing from Minneapolis, Minnesota, Brenda McKinney is an American living and working in the Kansai region of Japan. This is an account of her life and adventures among the fine people of Nihon.

Thursday, October 23, 2008

LOST in Lesson Planning

I am currently working on a lesson plan which includes showing a movie clip that demonstrates how foreigners see Japan. I immediately thought of Lost in Translation.

Here's the thing, I just watched the trailer and I don't know if my kids are going to understand what is so strange about the things they are showing. Actually, I am starting to realize even I don't see them as weird anymore. Just normal in a bizarre fashion (even the silly Suntory commercial... have you seen Tommy Lee Jones in the Boss Coffee ads (Boss should sue if the campaign came out before the movie... Bill Murray basically is TLJ in this role!)??



I've had all my visitors to Japan watch this movie before they leave (and hopefully before or when they come).  To be honest, I thought Lost in Translation was kind of boring the first time I saw it, the second time it kind of grew on me and I thought it was funny, and now - after quite a few viewings - the movie still continues to entertain and affect me differently (or I notice more) every time I see it.  It's funny how fast your impressions of this place change, but you often don't realize it until someone gives you a meter (like this movie).  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home