Brenda in Japan

Hailing from Minneapolis, Minnesota, Brenda McKinney is an American living and working in the Kansai region of Japan. This is an account of her life and adventures among the fine people of Nihon.

Thursday, October 16, 2008

Washing Clothing- This Isn't Little Italy, folks.

It may surprise you, but in Japan, most washing machines are kept outside (often on the balcony, even in apartments).  Furthermore, most washers don't have a warm water cycle, only cold water for everything.  Dryers do exist, but they aren't as common and the ones I have seen seem to be smaller than common dryers in America.  The machines have a spin cycle, but it is also a lot rougher than the machines at home (ask any foreigner living here about the condition of their clothing from home after a few washes if you don't believe me) so we also use little mesh bags for fragile items.

Futons (not the couch-to-bed contraption we have in America, but the cushion-beds that Japanese people sleep on and fold-up to put away each day) are also occasionally washed outside, or else merely hung out on the balcony to "bake" in the sun and air-out.

Personally, I have a washing machine at my home, but no dryer.  I wash my clothing outside (even in the winter) and then hang them on the balcony to dry (again, even in the winter).  I have a standard clothing line (thick cord) and a long metal pole (my balcony came with special holders to put it on and I also hang a circular, plastic-hook device that I bought at the super market from it)to accommodate this.  One thing I do pretty standardly, however, that a friend just pointed out is not very Japanese of me, is also hang my underwear and socks outside.

I hadn't noticed it before, but after my friend mentioned it this week, it really does seem like Japanese people don't hang their underwear outside.  

One reason for this - at least with many women - could be the prevalence of underwear snatching, but I do also remember hearing or reading something about people covering up underwear they hang outside as a courtesy thing.  

Either way, my apartment is not that big and I don't plan on getting a dryer anytime soon, so hopefully my apartment complex isn't too scandalized by the underwear hanging outside my sliding doors.  Maybe I'll start hanging them on the inside just in case...

1 Comments:

  • At 3:02 PM, Blogger Two said…

    Hell no! Everybody wears and it and everybody (hopefully) washes it so fly your underwear flags proudly :-P

     

Post a Comment

<< Home