Brenda in Japan

Hailing from Minneapolis, Minnesota, Brenda McKinney is an American living and working in the Kansai region of Japan. This is an account of her life and adventures among the fine people of Nihon.

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Hump Day in the Middle of Midterm Exams

It's Wednesday and there's not much going on... just tying up loose ends here and there while I have the free time.

I worked with "Megan" on her speech this morning, did my monthly article for the Hyogo Times newsletter, corrected some essays and caught up on email. I just need to proof-read some reports for my volunteer stuff and then I am going home early to study.
Honestly, I think I would probably be better off bringing my study books to work with me and studying here, even if I can leave early this week. It's beautiful outside and I know I'm just going to want to run and do other stuff. I might head to the Harimacho library later if I'm not doing enough, but we'll see.

I should go, but I have one thing to share before I do...
I am making dinner for a friend tomorrow night and I found an interesting recipe for stuffed onions (to go with my ravioli) that I thought I'd pass along. The recipe is apparently from am italian cookbook (entitled Il Cuoco Piemontese) dating back to 1766. Recipes during this time provided general directions, not detailed instructions, so there is no ingredients list (etc), but I think want to try to make this (or possibly do tuna-stuffed onions) if I can use Miwa's oven.
Check it out:

Piemontese Stuffed Onions
Take several onions and trim away tops and bottoms.
Boil them until they're cooked, but not overcooked.
Remove the onion hearts.
Take the crumb of day-old Italian bread (discard the crusts) and soak it in milk or fish broth for several minutes. Squeeze out the excess moisture and put it in a bowl with the crushed yolks of two hard-boiled eggs, a cup of grated Parmigiano, five well-minced roasted almonds, salt, two ground cloves, and two beaten egg yolks.
Mix well, fill the onions with the stuffing, roll them in flour, and fry them in hot oil until golden.
Arrange them in a pot with a little fish broth and simmer them until soft and fork tender, then sprinkle them with lemon juice, dust them with lemon zest, and serve.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home