Brenda in Japan

Hailing from Minneapolis, Minnesota, Brenda McKinney is an American living and working in the Kansai region of Japan. This is an account of her life and adventures among the fine people of Nihon.

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Found a New Camera!

Well, I think I finally found my camera! I was pretty tired after school, so I was just going to relax and read for a bit before jogging and running some errands. Well, the reading led to a nap (unexpectedly and in about 5 minutes of sitting down). This changed-up the order of my evening itinerary a bit, but I still made it to Midori Denki (a big electronic store chain) in time to look at the cameras. I was sort of plannng on just getting a new camera there, but the prices at Midori weren't as cheap as I expected and the selection was poorer than other places, so I didn't spend long and walked out empty-handed. To my surprise, however, dropping by the little camera shop in Ito Yokado, the center next to my house, on the way home was the most fruitful camera-shopping trip I have had yet... and I found my new camera there!


The guy that works at this little Itoyo shop is actually sort of a buddy now. I remember trying to communicate with him when I knew NO Japanese and needed to develop film (maybe two weeks after arriving) and he spent hours helping me try to recover the Thailand pictures I lost last year, telling me about how he lost all the pictures from his toddler's infancy when his computer crashed (and he just got divorced so his ex has most of the rest). I don't actually know him, but I'd say hi on the street and trust his opinion.
Anyways (digressing... again) this visit, pretty much everything was said in Japanese and the conversation about the different models went surprisingly well. I was able to ask about different functions (I'd sort of slyly try to get him to read a kanji s0 then I could use the word... like now I know "3x zoom" is san-bai), compare models and ask him more detailed questions about his recommendations.
The camera I've settled on (he's holding it so I can just check the web one more time) is a Canon and on sale, but not the latest model. It's the last generation of the top-of-the-line, however and has all the functions I really wanted and even some that have now been removed from the new cameras, including a wider screen, so I'm satisfied.


Whew. All I have to say is FINALLY... I definitely needed to get this camera SOON! I can't believe just spent the weekend at one of the coolest festivals I have ever been to and KOYASAN (in the fog) and didn't take a single shot. It has been killing me not being able to take pics.

I do not have the best track record with electronics.
*My Macbook turned out to be a lemon. Apple replaced it, but I have probably sent it in 5 times since I arrived in Japan.
*I am getting a new camera. Ok, so the battery slot on my last one wasn't very reliable after dropping it on a rock while hiking in Yakushima (and I did I really, really want one as a memory from Japan).
*And then there is my cell phone. The guy at the Softbank store was even amazed by the state of my Japanese cell phone when I got a new one this summer, telling me he was surprised it was still working.
*And last, but not least, there is my iPod (classic). I love, love, love my iPod and take it everywhere, but there is now a black line running down the middle of the LCD display. I originally thought it might have been from placing it near a magnet, but after reading a bit about similar problems on the net and the Apple site, I learned it's a common issue and most-likely from too much direct sunlight (guess listening to music at the beach this summer wasn't as all-around-perfect as I thought it was...my poor iPod was dying and I didn't even know it!).

*Nevertheless, I am determined to take care of this new camera. Even though all of the above 'incidents' have taken place in the last year or two. Fingers crossed.


More on Camera Options in Japan

Speaking of shopping for cameras, I've been doing a bit of it lately and it's been interesting to see what is available here (the electronics capital of the world, right?). Sometimes people ask about electronics when they ask about Japan, and since I generally have no clue, but can actually update you just this once, I thought I would share:

I was heading through Umeda (central Osaka) on my way home from the weekend last night, so I stopped in Yodabashi Camera to check out the selection. I have been doing a bit of research online, but was surprised to find that many of the Sony models I had recently seen (or my friends have) have now been completely removed from the shelves in Japan. They're still on the Best Buy and regular websites at home, however, so this has to be pretty recent. The upgraded 10.1 Megapixel models of only 2-3 months ago are also no longer the newest-of-the-new, with 12.1 Megapixels available on several models and even a 10 Optical Zoom (the function I am most looking for) available on your normal point-and-shoot digitals. Most cameras have an English function (although it's generally only bi-lingual), but it's good to check out electronics here because some don't. The prices on the newest models seem to be a little cheaper here than what is showing on the web for home, though, while the older models that I could compare (here to home with) actually seemed cheaper at home.
I am no expert (seriously - I could stand to be a little more otaku-poi when it comes to electronics), but some of the updates that have been made seem pretty impressive to me. Especially for how fast these changes are taking place.
The guy in Ito Yokado was telling me that most of the camera companies are coming out with new models this year, but I don't think I can wait until November or December to see what Canon announces it has up it's sleeve. Good to know if you're considering it, though!


Choosing your Names - Researching Cameras (OR: Yes, Even MORE on Cameras...)

Another FYI - the models are not all the same. I've had trouble finding info on some of the models I've liked, as the names seem to be different in Japan and the other Western countries where they are sold.
The model I found seems to be similar to what is available in the States, but I don't think it is the same thing. Friends of mine have gotten this model in Hong Kong and other Asian countries, however, so it might just be a market-to-market difference. I think this happens a lot with electronics - even cars- in Asia. I saw a Honda Accord this week with "Inspire" (not Accord) sprawled across the lower back side... sometimes you just use a different label for different countries.

Anyways...
This post is long, obscure and only partially potentially helpful... but I am just happy about my camera. Now maybe I can get back to putting those albums up on the blog, too :-p

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home