Brenda in Japan

Hailing from Minneapolis, Minnesota, Brenda McKinney is an American living and working in the Kansai region of Japan. This is an account of her life and adventures among the fine people of Nihon.

Thursday, September 04, 2008

Sept Wk 1 - Recap Desu!

It's still really hot and humid outside (happily trade it for rain today!), but I have been trying to get back into running this week. And so far.... I. Am. Sore!

I haven't been sore in ages (not even after the long runs with Lena last winter), but it's probably a good sign that I'm making progress... and that the progress is needed. Yikes.



Sleep (or lack thereof?)
This week has been relatively on the slow end; a break which I needed. I've been experienced a lot of sleep apnea/insomnia lately, and it's just wearing me down during the day. I know sleeping problems can occur with change (seasons, etc) and a few other people I know are going through the same thing, so I think it might be weather-related. I sleep with the air-conditioning on, but the heat could still be an issue. My bed is positioned so that the rising sun shines onto it when it comes up in the morning and even the rays from the earliest sunrises leaves my bed toasty.
Either way, I've started to get bags under my eyes, though, so one coworker asked me about it and when I told her what was going on, she reminded me that I said the same thing was happening exactly a year ago. Hmm...


On Tuesday, I stopped by a friend's house after work to help her with her (slightly late US) taxes, came home and tried cooking a new Japanese dish for dinner, went for a run (the one I'm still feeling now) and spent quite some time on the phone with home late at night (couldn't sleep and got an email that I was sort of upset about and needed to talk through).

On Wednesday, I was at school late helping a student with a speech she wrote and wants to enter into an upcoming regional speech competition. I've actually been meeting with her everyday and will for the next few weeks, but we're still just getting started. I was at school a bit later, but somehow still managed to to go home, make dinner and then proceed to plop down in front of the computer and watch an entire season of Heroes. Alright, watching an entire season is impossible for a night, but my "just one episode before I go running" turned into three episodes before I actually left the house. Then I read the recaps of most of the rest of the season's plot and watched the last episode before falling asleep.

Despite all the TV, I actually got more sleep in that night than I had in a while (maybe vegging is what I needed?) and am feeling much more rested today. If only my muscles felt better... baby steps...


Oh, and I won't go into a full recap of Heroes (for everyone's sake), but I have to say that I am now a bit better at telling when they are using "funny" Japanese ("Hiro" is supposed to be pretty good, but his friend is actually a Korean actor and is awful, for example). I'm still picking up vocabulary from this American show, of all places, but I can understand a lot more of it than I could the last time I was watching the show.

OK, I should get going. Off to watch Whale Rider for the fourth time, but not much else is going on this week...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home