Brenda in Japan

Hailing from Minneapolis, Minnesota, Brenda McKinney is an American living and working in the Kansai region of Japan. This is an account of her life and adventures among the fine people of Nihon.

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Shopping for Digital Cameras

Now that my computer is fixed and I have the new MacBook, it's really time to get the new camera. I have been planning on getting a new digital for a long time and was planning on either buying one in America this summer (yes, I know I live in Japan... but they can be the same price at home and the manuals, camera and warranty are always in English!) or just leaving my current digi-camera (as we say here) at home and getting one immediately upon my return.

Well, I left my camera at home and 3 disposable cameras (and about $30 in developing fees later), I am ready to get one NOW.
I have been shopping around a bit and comparing prices and have been surprised by what I've found. Comparing American websites to what I see in the stores here, I really think Japan might have a more advanced selection at a better price, but again, English is not always an option (OK when I am living here and can get help, not OK in a year when I move).
I was considering getting a DSLR for a while, too. They're expensive, but the shots are amazing, I am doing a bit of traveling right now so I would use it, and you can get a decent one for about $500 (far less than I expected). Then I thought about it and realized my needs were most likely not sufficient to warrant buying such a model just yet, so I'm back to the point-and-shoot digitals, now looking for one with a good optical zoom and color highlighting/effect option that I like.


Any recommendations out there for simple digital cameras that you have liked?


Lumix makes a 10x Optical Zoom that's OK, but the body is a bit clunky. Olympus has a smaller, stylish model with 10.1 megapix & 7x Optical zoom (maybe 5x digital zoom?) that I also really like, but I need to do more research. Hmm.

1 Comments:

  • At 7:27 PM, Blogger Japan Shopping said…

    Yes, you can go online Japan shopping for the camera you need. You don't have to worry about English because these websites were translated. Check it out.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home