Brenda in Japan

Hailing from Minneapolis, Minnesota, Brenda McKinney is an American living and working in the Kansai region of Japan. This is an account of her life and adventures among the fine people of Nihon.

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Biking to Work

I decided to bike to school today. It took about 50 minutes to get here and I was drenched in sweat walking in the door. My coworkers couldn't believe I biked from Futami to Takasago, but it's a pretty straight shot on a paved path; not bad at all.


I'm not going to lie, even though I must have looked like crap when I got to work (and from the looks I was getting during the ride, seeing a foreigner in shorts, a tank and a baseball cap must also be strange), the sweat felt like tiny drops of pleasure rolling down my face.


It doesn't matter if you have been in shape to run a marathon (or just been in shape) somewhat recently; you really have to keep it up or you are going to lose your progress. I should know... I am sorry to say I have seriously let myself go in the last few months, mainly just going out a lot and not exercising as much. I really feel like it's time to get back on the horse, though. Today just felt good to get out and move.


It's still a bit too hot to go for normal runs and it's supposed to rain for the rest of the week, but I might try to start hitting the gym again when I am back in town a while or at least get up early to run.


More Goodbyes
So one of my friends here is leaving today. I said my goodbyes to her and her boyfriend before America and didn't need to do it again, it's just too hard to drag things out, but strange to think she's gone. I saw Kelly and met her Japanese boyfriend last night, too. Kelly and I have gone through a lot of ups and downs over the last few years and aren't as close as we used to be, but it's also strange to think she won't just be around if I want to text or call her. Saying goodbye felt like a "see you later." That's the way it should be, I suppose. I am not quite sure if I am just really prepared for all of this change or in denial.


Service Award
I had another big surprise when I got home from work yesterday evening. I checked my mailbox to discover a big, manila envelope. I look inside to find an official letter and certificate telling me I won a national service award! I have been snooping around and I am pretty sure a colleague in Kyoto nominated me (for my work with the volunteer organization), but I was still very surprised and really flattered. I know so many other hard-working, talented people here, I almost feel like they deserve it more than I do. If I did know for sure who nominated me, however... well then, wow, I owe them a huge thank you!

Camping Gear
I have to get going. I'm meeting a friend in Akashi to pick up some camping gear and I need to tackle the large mass of stuff that people having been giving me that has accumulated in my kitchen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home