Brenda in Japan

Hailing from Minneapolis, Minnesota, Brenda McKinney is an American living and working in the Kansai region of Japan. This is an account of her life and adventures among the fine people of Nihon.

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

First Day Back in Japan

It's 6am on Tuesday morning here right now. I got in around 10pm last night. From door to door, the trip took me about 25 hours to get back and I was pretty beat by the time I got to the apartment, but it was a relatively smooth trip over. This past year I learned you can use a carrier service to ship yours bags from the airport to your door and not have to hassle with them on the trains (for only about $16 per bag), so I actually just sent my stuff since there wasn't really anything I needed right away. I ran into my neighbor, Chigusa, at Nishi Futami, as well, and she carried half of what I had left... not so bad.

So yeah. Short summary: the wedding was beautiful, went more than well (except me missing the first dance and flower toss because I was racing a 10-year-old in the hallway and talking to his dad about Iraq... but moving on) and we all had an amazing night.

Under the Weather on the Way Out the Door
I was planning on staying up all night on Saturday to pull my last-minute things together and make myself tired for the Sunday flight, but I also had a little problem when it was time to go. I definitely didn't drink enough to get THAT drunk or hung over at the wedding (and I was home with my parents and in bed by 2am the night before... all-nighter plans foiled), but I woke up hours before my flight basically unable to move or talk.

It was so strange that the bug just HIT (unless I was hung over), but I was throwing up all morning until we left before my flight. I was dizzy and out of breath and had to just lay down and rest for periods of time between packing my final things. It felt good to be home and be taken care of a bit... my mom just held my hand when I was too dizzy to walk... but I seriously thought I was going to miss the flight! My mom's reaction to all of it was worry, of course, but she also reminded me that we are getting older and can't really pull-off (ahem...multiple) all-nighters or push my body like I always have anymore. Not sure if that is true or exactly what hit me on the last day, but at least it made for a relaxing (because I had no other choice but to relax) end to the vacation.

As I said, it was a smooth trip otherwise, though. I was feeling much better by Detroit, could eat on the plane, slept a lot of the way and the worst thing that happened was the little old Japanese lady next to me falling asleep on my shoulder multiple times and a can of hairspray exploding in my suitcase.

Back in Akashi & Weather Woes
It feels really normal coming back to Japan... just like it did going back to college after a long break, or even coming back to Minneapolis now. I apparently missed a pretty violent storm here yesterday (typhoon?). I think we caught the tail end of it on our way in because we flew THROUGH some giant lightening clouds when coming into Osaka. I probably saw about 4 or 5 bolts of lighting at EYE LEVEL as we dropped altitude. It was awesome being so close to a storm (the lightening was really beautiful!), but on the otherhand, I am just guessing that that can't be extremely safe flying through like that. My friend Miwa's school was actually hit by lightening yesterday (shattered some windows, but everyone was OK)... if the school is a target, I can imagine a plane at the close of range would be too.

The forecast for the entire week is rainy, but it's good to come back to less humidity than I left with. It's not perfect and I am still sweating a bit, but feeling alright so far.

DAY ONE Back in the Saddle
So, yeah, I'm back and definitely recharged after a week of vacation. I didn't get to see everyone while I was home (didn't even tell everyone I was coming back due to it being such a short timespan), but I'm really happy with the trip. Funny I never made it to Ridgedale or Mall of America, but I saw some important people, got to spend some time outside (no humidity - BEAUTIFUL weather!), went around the lakes a few times and I definitely got my share of delicious FOOD while I was back. Heck, if you wanted to create a checklist... I think that would probably be it ;-)

Now I only have a few days here before I head out to meet the rest of the council I volunteer with in Tokyo to work at Tokyo Orientation for the new expats coming in. We don't have classes at school right now, either, which I appreciate because it gives me the opportunity to relax a bit and get organized, even if I do have to come in... liking the summer vibes.

I have to get going and get to work, but more in the next few days. Sayonara :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home