Brenda in Japan

Hailing from Minneapolis, Minnesota, Brenda McKinney is an American living and working in the Kansai region of Japan. This is an account of her life and adventures among the fine people of Nihon.

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Hawaii Layover and Back in Minnesota

Well, it took me 25 hours to get back, but I am home in Minnesota! There has been a minimal amount of jetlag and culture shock, but overall, it's hard to believe I just came in yesterday.

I was really glad I had an evening flight on Saturday because I could take my time and run errands before leaving and didn't feel like I was in such a rush to get to the airport. I planned out my route before leaving and left with plenty of time, but almost missed my plane in the end because of a girl who first stopped to help me with my luggage, but in the end really wanted to practice English. That hasn't happened in a while, but she kept stopped (while holding one of my bags) to ask questions, told me to get the wrong ticket to the airport (so I second-guessed and had to ask someone), wanted to get a picture of us together and then... I missed the airport bus I needed by about a minute. The next one had more stops and didn't leave for another 30 minutes, so I was a bit annoyed (and worried I wouldn't make it in time for check-in)... but in the end I made the flight. All's well that ends well.

During the layover in Waikiki, I hit the beach and then went for lunch at Duke's when it started to rain. It's only about 10 miles from the Honolulu Intl airport to the beach, but with a 9-hour layover, I think I would have rented a car had I thought of it earlier. The shuttle buses (about $9 each way) aren't bad, but they take over an hour and it would be about the same price for a car (not including parking... which is free near the zoo, however). To catch a shuttle back, I just went to the nicest hotel on the beach and asked the concierge if I could join their shuttle, but they just booked my own for me (even with no room... amazing service...that's why you go to the best hotel first!).

So, as I said, the entire trip home took about 25 hours (or about 30 door-to-door), but went pretty smoothly. I will admit I got a little nervous about being home after an experience on the way back. Americans are not exactly notorious for our international savviness or interest of the world outside our borders (particularly when it comes to other cultures). There are, of course, a lot of exceptions to this statement, but it is a general stereotype and I have to admit it is based on something.

Well, on the flight back, I was seated next to this 10-year-old kid who was flying back to Minnesota alone. I'm pretty familiar with the airline's Unaccompanied Minor (UM) program and have worked with kids for years, so when the stewardesses had left and the kid looked bored, I hopped into my old camp counselor-mode and said hi to make the kid feel better. The kid thought it was pretty cool that I live in Japan so I wrote his name in Japanese (katakana), showed him a book of pictures from Japan and told him some stories throughout the ride. He wanted to play video games with me and I would say we both had fun.

Well, this was all fine and good, yes, but I realized that the people in front of us were eavesdropping on the stories partway through. They were probably a little older than I am, but obviously on a business trip. I heard one of the guys lean over to the woman next to him and make a comment about the stories along the lines of, "geez, sounds like a freaking Lonely Planet or something. All those books are just the same anyways." Simple comment, yes, but I have to say that was a reminder to me that a lot of people don't care about culture or want to hear about it, sometimes just don't get it, and it was really the biggest bit of culture shock I hit all day. I'm glas I get to take these little trips home.. I can see how hitting that impression after being gone for a few years would be hard to confront at first, but otherwise, the culture shock has so far been managable.

The arrival back in Minnesota has been good, as well. Joe surprised me by welcome me home at the airport (at 5:30am!) with a little sign and invite for some Starbucks. My dad brought me home and we stopped at a little diner on the way for a big, American-style breakfast (the kind you just can't get in Japan). Then I drove my old car back to Plymouth to relax, see the family and the pets and just be home for a few hours before a swim at the Marsh with my mom and heading out to the the farm in Wisconsin (about 3 hrs rt) to pick up a few things. Most of my stuff is being stored there so we just went for a bit stopped at the diner in Dresser (yes, another small town diner!) for a bite on the way back. I still haven't called many friends, but I have plans with close ones throughout the week and wedding stuff all weekend. I know this sounds like a lot, but it didn't feel like it. I loved getting more outside time today and the weather is simply beautiful (no humidity). I am pretty pumped, pretty happy.

I didn't come home to spend a week on the internet, so I should go, but I'll try to check in again while I am here. Back safe and sound however and having a great time!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home