Brenda in Japan

Hailing from Minneapolis, Minnesota, Brenda McKinney is an American living and working in the Kansai region of Japan. This is an account of her life and adventures among the fine people of Nihon.

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Kristin's Speech

I generally try to avoid posting really personal things online, and this is personal to not just myself, but I wanted to share something I wrote for a bachelorette party this past weekend weekend. I missed a very important wedding in America last fall because I couldn't get home for it, and I felt horrible about it (even though I couldn't do anything about it), so when I found out my best friend of 18 years was getting married this summer, I did literally everything in my power to make sure I would be home on time.
I'm only going to be home for 6 days in total and haven't been able to do as much as I would like to as the Maid of Honor for this wedding, but it means a lot that I get to share this day with my friend. So, here is the speech I wrote for my best friend's bachelorette party last weekend. She said it made her cry (and, to be honest, the memories made me cry as I was writing it as well). Here you go:

Hello to all of you and I hope you are enjoying the night. I would like to thank Kristin, Luke, everyone who helped plan the bachelorette party. I look forward to seeing you all when I return home from Japan in a few weeks and I wish I could be there with you tonight.

I have known Kristin for 18 years, since we were in the same second-grade class at Nativity, and I could not have been luckier to have found such an amazing friend at such a young age. While we started off as Nintendo and fort-building buddies, Kristin became much more than a friend to me. She became a sister. When my family moved away from Kristin's neighborhood in third grade, we somehow convinced our moms to drive over an hour to deliver us for endless slumber party weekends and play dates and we remained friends, even joining each others' family vacations over the years. As our friendship grew, Kristin's entire family also became a second family to me, and as I prepare for my trip home to America this summer, I honestly think of Kristin's wedding as I would any family affair. I wouldn't miss it for the world.

It breaks my heart that I am not able to celebrate in full all of the activities for Kristin's special day today, but I have no doubt you are all having a great night because of the wonderful friends Kristin has made along the way. I also know there is a reason she has made such amazing friends - you ladies - over the years: they say beauty at attracts beauty and Kristin has one of the kindest hearts of anyone I have met anywhere. Stunning, both inside and out.

While I have been in Japan for literally the entire time Kristin and Luke have been together (they went on the first date the week after I moved, for goodness sake), I also could not be more happy that these two people found each other. Luke is a kind, funny and intelligent gentleman; a man deserved of my best friend. I mean, c'mon, the guy actually called up the best friend - in another continent, no less - to ask permission to propose!

So on this day, I would like to make a toast to Kristin. You are a fabulous friend, a kind soul, a talented person and a gorgeous woman. I love you. We are all blessed to be part of your life.

So, to end the speech, I would like to share with you a blessing you shared with me during one of my big "firsts" - moving away from home for the first time.

So here it goes, an Irish blessing:

May the road rise to meet you,
May the wind be always at your back,
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
May the rains fall soft upon your fields,
And, until we meet again,
May God hold you in the hollow of His hand.


Kristin, I know that you and Luke will always be there for each other and Congratulations to both of you on this special occasion.

Please raise your glasses and share in a toast to Kristin. CHEERS!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home