Brenda in Japan

Hailing from Minneapolis, Minnesota, Brenda McKinney is an American living and working in the Kansai region of Japan. This is an account of her life and adventures among the fine people of Nihon.

Friday, July 04, 2008

Happy 4th of July, America :)

Ahh, Friday.

I'm sitting at my desk right now, headphones on, trying to drown out the sound of my voice over the loudspeakers (OC listening test). I actually learned this morning that, in addition to making English obligatory from the 5th grade (elementary school), they might get rid of Oral Communication in my prefecture in a few years time (or at least give the students the option of not taking it). With less need for Oral Communication-teachers (and more emphasis on grammar and reading... yes, more), I can see those changes affecting the number of foreigners working in the public school system. A lot of changes are in the works. All in the hands of the mighty BOE...

I had a really great night last night. Kelly and I went to the Nepalese restaurant in Befu for the first time in over a year. I remember the place being really expensive, but the prices weren't bad and the food was excellent. I ran to Harimacho, where Kelly lives, and then rode a friend's extra bike to Befu, but it started to downpour and lightning during our ride over. It's a wonder they even let us in, we were so soaked! I actually had a lot of fun reminiscing about our January trip to Kathmandu, however. We were basically the only customers in the place, so we decided to eat Nepalese style - with our hands - and had fun talking to the girl that worked at the place about our trip and where she was from. All the staff came out to say goodbye to us by the time we left. Kelly and I both let out a little sigh when we walked outside and realized we were still in our little surburban, Japanese town, but it was a good get away for the evening (can you tell I am ready for a vacation?). We weren't looking great after the rain, but Kelly and I decided to do a few purikura (picture stickers... something else I haven't done for a while!) before heading home - just for old times's sake. No rain on the ride back and I actually watched TV for a while before bed for the first time in ages. Very relaxing. Very nice.

Anyways, I really do have a lot to do so I should get going, but my home Internet is down (it's the Macbook...again... same issue as last fall!), so I may not be as accessible for the next week or so. More on that later, but for now, just one more thing to say:

HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY AMERICA!

Happy celebrations to all of you in the States and have a great weekend!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home