Brenda in Japan

Hailing from Minneapolis, Minnesota, Brenda McKinney is an American living and working in the Kansai region of Japan. This is an account of her life and adventures among the fine people of Nihon.

Saturday, July 19, 2008

Packing.

I am at home packing right now and it is slowly dawning on me that a lot of my stuff is never going to see American shores again. I have two full suitcases (after weighing them a few times and taking things out), and this is AFTER taking out the things I will "need" over the next year.

A year is a long time, Japan has four distinct seasons (as you will undoubtedly be reminded if you ever come here, it's a source of pride) and I am living here - not visiting - so there is a lot I can't take back. Winter clothing, especially, but I plan to try to not shop much over the next year and get the most use out of what I have before donating or getting rid of it.

So, yes... packing. My friend came over and helped me sort through the things I can part with now earlier in the week. I am bringing home some gifts, but pretty much all my necklaces, cards and Japanese suvineers, for example, are leaving now. My friend wanted me to send almost all of my pictures back, too, but I couldn't bare to part with all of them just yet. That being said, we did find a picture of my old apartment (well, when I lived with Kristin right before coming to Japan) and my friend thought it was hilarious that there was a large quantity of clothing in the background. That picture is now hanging on my door with a little note that says "You Do Not Need To Buy More Clothing" underneath it. Nice... we'll see how that works.

I left a lot in Norway after folk school (after really bringing nothing) and have never sent things home when I've lived abroad before, but it's borderline amusing watching what people are having to go through now. One of my friends who works for a marketing firm in Osaka and is leaving later this fall is shipping his furniture, etc, back and is already giving away some really amazing electronics. I had an offer for his large-screen TV, but I already have a TV I hardly watch and I don't think it will fit in my little apartment, anyways :(

Last night was the final farewell with Kelly and Tam (Yoshiko, a friend from the IFA has a big BBQ), and I said goodbye to my close girlfriends on Thursday. One of them is getting married in Hawaii in a few weeks. I can't make it to the wedding (tickets are unbelievably expensive and I am too busy with things in Japan), but it's strange to think that I am on the cusp of such a huge transition (I already REALLY miss these guys)... not to mention the fact that I will be leaving the country this time next year. We always knew this was coming someday... but someday sure came quickly!

I only have about two hours before I have to leave for the airport, so I should go. I just need to throw a few last minutes things together, but I know I am going to be a puddle of sweat once I try lugging these suitcases out (the humidity has hit, people are once again carrying towels everywhere and the cicadas are out...summer is here!), so I should enjoy the last moments of air con.

Bon voyage and enjoy the weekend :) I'm off to Hawaii for ten hours on the way to see some of my closest friends and family... I know I definitely will!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home