Brenda in Japan

Hailing from Minneapolis, Minnesota, Brenda McKinney is an American living and working in the Kansai region of Japan. This is an account of her life and adventures among the fine people of Nihon.

Monday, May 26, 2008

The Weekend Review: Adios to Adela

Well, my plans to see Heaven’s Bridge in Kyoto Prefecture were foiled, but I had a great weekend otherwise. Work party on Friday (really low key). Instead of the after-party, I headed to Amagasaki to hang out in the local “Cheers”-style izakaiya. This is seriously the place to learn if you want to improve your language skills. Don't think that would help my reputation if I actually was at a bar everything (fear I've got a little rep forming after I told the staff at work I spent the night outside and missed last train last week... I'm totally professional at work, but since those stories, they think I am a party animal...hahaha).

Saturday
Saturday brought with it lunch with Shannon (my Midwest galpal over in Shiga Prefecture) at a cute little organic place in Osaka and then goodbye dinners, drinks and a little dancing with friends in Kobe. The outing was technically in honor of my lovely friend Adela - who leaves this week - last time I’ll see her here! Dels was a refugee from Kosovo and is going back to the homeland for a big family reunion, following some serious traveling on the way there, but it’s hard to believe she’s not going to be here. As I have said before, life here is transitory, but I have to admit it still feels strange. I'm going to miss her a lot.

Sunday
On Sunday I had lunch at one of my fave eateries in the Osaka-area: the Costco food court (sadly, no joke). The food is cheap, HUGE portions and actually really good. The Bulgogi bake is the best and I resisted buying too much for once (kept it at granola, detergent & pesto, oh my!).

I finally saw the film Pan’s Labyrinth with Dave on Sunday evening. I've been meaning to see it forever, but I think I built it up too much anticipation and expected it to be more than what it was. Yes, the computer graphics were impressive and it was a moving story, but it reminded me of Atonement (which I didn’t love...want to read to read the book to give it another chance). Parts of the film also reminded me of A Very Long Engagement for some reason, and I found myself actually wishing I was watching that movie instead of Pan’s Labyrinth. I guess that says enough in itself, but sometimes you just need to be in the right mood for a flick.

Monday
I'm at my desk right now and it's a slow Monday morning again (have stuff to do but no class). I think I’m going to go grab an early lunch and take advantage of the BEAUTIFUL weather outside!

I really wish I could just go running right now, but I guess you should take what you can get. It’s getting really nice out, but the humidity is also starting to hit (a 45 min run leaves me drenched in sweat now... sort of gross), so I’m trying to do night runs. That being said, things are getting busier (performing AND presenting in the school culture festival, almost every weekend booked through July, etc, etc), so I’ll still accept ending my runs looking like I saw a sprinkler and couldn’t resist if it means I get to enjoy the weather.

I'll post more later, but just because it’s Monday...
here’s a little fun from Japan:
Nintendo's Domestic Market?
The Real Office - Japan Edition (SNL Digital Short)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home