Brenda in Japan

Hailing from Minneapolis, Minnesota, Brenda McKinney is an American living and working in the Kansai region of Japan. This is an account of her life and adventures among the fine people of Nihon.

Tuesday, May 06, 2008

I love hostels

I just talked to a group of people teaching in Korea that came for the week. Apparently they got a 3-day Japan Rail Pass, which I didn't know you could do, and they absolutely love Japan. One American girl I talked to for a while kept going on about how much better everyone thought Japan is... so ironic since a lot of people in Japan are envious of people in Korea to some extent. They make more money for similar jobs that most foreigners do here (and cost of living is so low) and the culture can be more vibrant, the people more expressive (at least in public). Both money and formalities (which can be perceived as coldness) are things that many westerners tend to complain about - or mourn at least at some point - after living in Japan for a while. I guess the grass is always greener... somewhere. Even if your grass is already pretty green. Funny.

Since I have been sitting here, I have also seen 5 different people of different nationalities sit down and log onto Facebook. I guess the world is smaller than we think... or something.

Ok, I'm ranting... off for that soak!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home