Brenda in Japan

Hailing from Minneapolis, Minnesota, Brenda McKinney is an American living and working in the Kansai region of Japan. This is an account of her life and adventures among the fine people of Nihon.

Friday, May 02, 2008

Friday and ready for GW

So I wrote on Monday that I had nothing to do. Well, somewhere between now and then I have been PELTED with bullet points on the agenda, to the point that I am actually really, really looking forward to a long train ride tonight… just so I can nap and relax alone for a bit. I have now been running a few times and my foot is better, but I am going to work it back into my schedule this spring (as I work my body back into shape…yikes). The alone, meditation time as I run outside is just so therapeutic and making it a priority keeps me from piling too many things on my plate (because you know I never do that… hmm, thought I had gotten better when I got here, but now I realize it’s just that I didn’t have a car to move around as fast… and I have since learned to compensate for the travel time).

This week has, however, flown by. Tuesday was a national holiday, so we didn’t have work. I stayed local and had a picnic with Dave. I’ve been raving about Fresco, the all-you-can-eat pizza & Italian place in Befu, for months now. Well, we tried to go once, but the place was being renovated. Tried to go again (after the renovation) and they had changed their closing time to 7pm (what restaurant closes at 7pm?!). Hmm, ok. Working on the hope that the third time would be the charm (if I had known better, I would chosen “three strikes and your out!”), we headed back again on Monday, and guess what... yep, closed! Well, they were open and there was food in sight, but the serving hours were over. I give up! I still think the sketchy second-floor kitchen and really weird hours (um, and amazing deal) signal a potential yakuza cover, but I'll leave it at that. At least it gave us a good excuse to eat near the river (just going to not get into how every river - yes every river - in this country now has a cement floor...).

The plan is to head out tonight for Kumamoto or Fukuoka via the bullet train before making my way to Yakushima for the weekend. I was going to do a few days in Beppu first, but am instead going to soak my achin' bones (from all the hiking I plan to do... YAY!) afterwards... I think. Updates from the road.... stuff to do now, but here's some stuff on Yakushima for your reading pleasure. I can't wait :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home