Brenda in Japan

Hailing from Minneapolis, Minnesota, Brenda McKinney is an American living and working in the Kansai region of Japan. This is an account of her life and adventures among the fine people of Nihon.

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Rockin the 80s and Class in Kobe

I had a pretty busy day at school today. I've been doing at least 3 different Powerpoint presentations a week lately, but it gives me the opportunity to use fun animation & vids and show pictures so I'm actually having a blast making them and the classes have been going well. I showed a few of my upper level classes the Animaniacs (remember them?) world geography song (I'll post it at the bottom of this entry) and was delighted when one girl not only wanted to know how to get a copy, but is now trying to memorize the song (meaning ALL of the countries in the world... in English). Rock on.

Paula Can you Hear Me?
I had a funny moment after first period today when I ran to the bathroom, looked in the mirror and realized that my outfit was completely inappropriate for work (at least in Japan). I got dressed quickly and ran out the door, just putting on a tank, plain cotton t-shirt (yes, the uniform), blazer and black pants. I was kind of hot, so I was just wearing the T for a while, but it's sort of a longer one with silver stitching... and falls off the shoulder like an 80's workout tape. Hahaha... the look was cute, but I definitely looked like I was paying homage to Paula Abdul's early days in the biz. I just threw the blazer back on for the rest of the day, but now that I think about it... maybe Japan IS the ONE place where (even in a public school) it's OK to make a fashion statement like that. This is why I get along so well with teenage girls, isn't it?

Language Classes
In other news, I decided to take language classes again (this time in Kobe) and just got back from the placement test. I had kinda given up on the Japanese (or dramatically cut down on formal study) this year. The change in attitude was a combo of realizing how much I didn't need it when I went home last summer, how frustrated I was getting that the process was going so much slower than Norwegian or German (seriously, it is HARD) and that others seemed to always know more. But Japanese really is a valuable (communication) tool, I still love languages and culture, this is the time to study it... I realized this is the HAVEN for Japanophiles, so I shouldn't be so frustrated with how much others seem to know in comparison. Why not enjoy it, get better and communicate even more?! Right?

It costs a bit to get to Kobe for the classes, but the classes are really good and at an amazing center (and free). It's also a good excuse to spend more time in the part of Kobe I love and meet more interesting people. I have been heading in that direction a lot over the past few months, so I'm also really happy about being able to meet up with friends on class nights. AND - as if that alone weren't fabu enough - a few other expats in my area signed up for the course, so we can potentially go (or study?) together. Anyways, the placement test was only an hour and I couldn't finish the verb conjugation charts (had trouble at the end), but we'll see how it goes. I'm never going to be completely fluent in Japanese (and my kanji count is disgraceful), but the motivation and interest are coming back so I'm going to jump on that wave while I can.

Adieu
I still haven't been running yet - and probably won't have time to this week - but I'm going to bike to work tomorrow, so looking forward to the extra morning energy and scenery. I've been kind of emotional lately (or sort of bored/depressed about not moving around and being stuck out in the quasi-country), but even the little bike rides (and getting into Kobe) make a remarkable difference. I guess my body really is starving for it! Actually getting up early means off to bed at a reasonable hour, however, so I need to go. Thanks for checking in and until next time... adios!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home