Brenda in Japan

Hailing from Minneapolis, Minnesota, Brenda McKinney is an American living and working in the Kansai region of Japan. This is an account of her life and adventures among the fine people of Nihon.

Thursday, April 17, 2008

1am Earthquake

I just got a message from a friend in Kobe, asking if I had felt the quake last night. I did, but had essentially forgotten about it until I got the message (was half asleep and thought it was part of a dream or something).

It wasn't bad and only lasted about 10 seconds or so, but I woke up around 1am to my fridge shaking. At first I thought it might be the strong wind (which can rattle my windows if it's bad... and it's been rainy and a bit windy this week), but it stopped before it got to the point where I should have run for the doorframe and I fell back asleep right away.

Another coworker said it was a 3.0, so not too serious, but we weren't sure where the epicenter was. It's been a while since I've felt a trembler... hope everyone was OK!

"hey did you feel the earthquake last night? i woke up in horror cause my bed was shaking...thought i was in the Excorsist movie!!" - Phone-email message I got today from a friend in the next town over from mine

1 Comments:

  • At 8:41 PM, Blogger Masa Saito said…

    Hey Brenda. The epicenter was near Akashi bridge with depth of 10km. I saw the ritcher scale of 4.0 at Akashi so I was going to email you but it was 1am so I decided not to do so. I have a couple of friends living by that bridge so I emailed them but none of the answer came back until next morning so it sound they didn't realize the quake at all! By the way, they live in Maiko. Oh, by the way, I entered to the special tour to climb up to the peak of Akashi bridge on Saturday, June 7th, so I don't hope the quakes hits the area on that day though...it will be scaring. Do you live in Akashi? Let's get together sometime soon.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home