Brenda in Japan

Hailing from Minneapolis, Minnesota, Brenda McKinney is an American living and working in the Kansai region of Japan. This is an account of her life and adventures among the fine people of Nihon.

Friday, April 11, 2008

Ceremonies

Wow, this has been the WEEK of ceremonies! We had a hello/farewell ceremony for the new and departing teachers, an opening ceremony, a welcome ceremony for the new students, an induction ceremony for the new students (where the upperclassmen and freshman sit facing each other in the gym and each send a representative to the parting in the middle to give a speech)... and I think at least one more about club activities. Intense! The good news is that classes officially started on Thursday so we're getting back into the swing of things and I like all the people I am assigned to work with this year. I'm just getting pumped and want to actually get started.

I had class with the Senior International Studies class this morning (adore those kids, but cannot believe are in their last year already... ), but that is pretty much it for my schedule this week. I was really looking forward to class with the new first years, but my hours were pushed to next week due to medical checks. The X-ray truck has been parked outside for the last few days and students take a break from class to go get scanned for Tuburculosis. I guess it makes sense that my classes would be pushed out, but it just means a slower week for me. Lots of desk time. I've been reading with most of it (online and novels) and I guess I have to admit it's nice to just settle down a bit (I have been on the go so much that I forgot how much I missed sitting down with a good book)... but having a little more purpose and things to do during the day will definitely be a welcomed change!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home