Brenda in Japan

Hailing from Minneapolis, Minnesota, Brenda McKinney is an American living and working in the Kansai region of Japan. This is an account of her life and adventures among the fine people of Nihon.

Monday, April 07, 2008

Grapes.

We have a new gym teacher at our school. He looked vaguely familiar when I first met him last week, but I couldn't place the connection. I asked my friend (who works at his old school) about it and she reminded me that we had run into the guy, also a kendo coach, at the Martial Arts Festival in Himeji last year.

So the morning after talking to my friend, I see the teacher and decide to say hi and introduce myself as the girl from the festival. The teacher didn't speak a lot of English so I did it in Japanese, though, and I was really confused when one of the teachers sitting around us said something and everyone started laughing.

In Japanese, a lot of words take on a different meaning if you put the stress in the wrong place (same with any tonal language... or maybe any langauge) or neglect lengthening a vowel. Osaka, for example, is actually OOOOO (long o) saka. Anyways, when I asked the guy about "budo" I apparently put the stress on the end of the word, not the middle (should be bUUUdo). The new teacher understood, but another teacher thought I was talking about grapes (see, meaning changes!) and asked a question about the picnic. Well, I missed what she had said so she explained "I thought you said grape... I thought something might have happened to you at a picnic or something."

Ok, at this point, my face turns bright red because I think she's just told me I mispronounced the word and was talking about RAPE, not Grapes. Oh my. Anyways, we all sort of chuckled and went back to our desks. Later that night I told my Japanese friend the story and realized my mistake that "budo" actually does not mean rape, but does mean grape....

Something similar actually did happen last year when I was interviewing people for an article about blind group dates (konpa or gokan, actually similar to the word for RAPE, gokon) and asked a coworker to tell me about their personal experiences so I thought it was funny I could make the same mistake - with two different words - twice. Guess it was all just twisted aroun, but what a interesting but messy lingual mistake! Haha...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home