Brenda in Japan

Hailing from Minneapolis, Minnesota, Brenda McKinney is an American living and working in the Kansai region of Japan. This is an account of her life and adventures among the fine people of Nihon.

Friday, April 04, 2008

Cherry Blossom Bliss

Well, I think I'm settled back in. It's been a slow week (as you can probably tell by the MASSIVE posts I have been publishing), but it's been a really good one. I have a lot of free time during the day right now since the new school year starts this week (classes next week) and I am done planning. I saw some members of the new freshman class when they came in to pick up their uniforms and books on Tuesday. The kids look so tiny! I swear they get younger every year... hoping this class is going to be energetic!

So about those posts. Noone in their right mind would spend all their time in Cambodia sitting in an internet cafe, including myself. I took notes in the blog along the way, and have been sorting through them... but sorry if I got a bit carried away. I have been doing a lot of reflecting and have SO many more impressions and observations I could share, but I think I've shared enough for now ;) If you ever want to discuss, please let me know, and pictures WILL be posted soon.

As for Japan and the weekend, the weather is beautiful (60 degrees today) and I am looking forward to hanami in Himeji tomorrow (flower viewing party - it's cherry blossom season again!!).

I also have a few days left on my Juhachi Seishun Kippu, a discount ticket on the JR train line, that expire next week so I'm thinking of heading to Kyoto to check out Daigoji Temple (醍醐寺) this evening or weekend. The temple is famous for the cherry blossom trees, that also happen to be pictured on calendars all over my school, so I've been really curious about it and this might be a good chance to check it out. It looks like Uji Temple (宇治), pictured on the 10 yen coin, might be close by and convenient to make a stop at, so I might try to go there and possibly Sanjusangen-do (三十三間堂), as well. Sanjusangen-do is famous for it's 1001 Buddhas... looks marvelous!

Tomorrow is Earth Hour (an annual intl event org by WWF that asks people and businesses to turn off all their lights and non-essential appliances for one hour in the evening), so I am also curious to see who - including what landmarks - have theirs out tomorrow. I'm gonna go all candles from 7:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m... you should, too!

I know it's still cold back in Minnesota (9 inches of snow in one day this week?! ganbatte, guys!) but hope everyone gets a chance to get outside and enjoy the sun as well. Cheers :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home