Brenda in Japan

Hailing from Minneapolis, Minnesota, Brenda McKinney is an American living and working in the Kansai region of Japan. This is an account of her life and adventures among the fine people of Nihon.

Friday, April 11, 2008

Suas'day tshnamm thmey!

[happy khmer new year!!!]
I just heard from a PEPY person who reminded me that Khmer New year is here! It's supposed to be VERY hot in Phnom Penh at the moment, but the all of Cambodia is getting ready to celebrate and it sounds like a lot of fun.

In Cambodia, people don't celebrate their birthdays until they turn 50 (they just turn a year older at the New Year), one of the reasons New Years is a pretty big celebration for everyone. Even schools close for almost a month and everyone gathers together with their neighbors, relatives and friends to eat, drink and enjoy the occassion.

I wish I could go back to Cambodia and celebrate, too, but since I can't and I'm limited to stories, pictures and imagining what the holiday must be like.... Thought I would at least pass on the cheer :-)

Suas'day tshnamm thmey!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home