Brenda in Japan

Hailing from Minneapolis, Minnesota, Brenda McKinney is an American living and working in the Kansai region of Japan. This is an account of her life and adventures among the fine people of Nihon.

Monday, May 19, 2008

The Weekend Review: Tin Roof...RUSTED.

I'm working on a video for my best friend's wedding tright now (surprise for the groom... gonna be cute). We are in the middle of midterms at work, which means some extra down time for moi (at last until the grading starts), but I seem to have a lot to do suddenly.

This weekend was another good, but busy one. I was actually just going through my itinerary from the past few weeks and realizing just how busy things have really been. Just looking back on the last two weeks, I was home (in my own bed) for one night the week before last (and I was packing that evening) and out or traveling every other night. Then I didn't really have a weekend (literally was in meetings), got home from Tokyo on Tuesday and was on the go again in my area for the rest of the week. This past weekend was full, as well. I'm not complaining, but I need to slow down a bit and take a breather. It's been intense.

I have plans tonight and J-class tomorrow, but I am already looking forward to doing NOTHING on Wednesday! I thrive going at 150mph, but must admit I am seriously starting to appreciate the art of relaxation. With so many friends leaving Japan, some travel plans (including Kristin's wedding in Minnesota!) and working with orientation, I will probably be on the move through the summer, but foresee a slower fall after that. I am working on keeping a good balance here (zen...), but I guess that just also means a lot of things on the blog to keep up with for you guys! ;-)

Friday
So speaking of J-class (Japanese class, if you're not used to that abbreviation of all things Japan), Friday was my first lesson at the Hyogo International Association. They offer really great Japanese classes for free, but the only catch is that it takes me at least an hour by train to get to them (which is also not cheap). I had missed the first two classes due to my Tokyo business trip, but was able to jump right in and was really impressed by the teacher and lesson. We also got homework... which I NEED!
You know, I came here so determined to learn Japanese. I discovered quickly, however, that studying kanji for 4 hours a day really isn't my thing (some people can do it... I tend to think they're a little weird to crazy, but then again, they are probably fluent by now) and that those that had intensive grammer training (like college courses) prior to coming here had a massive advantage. Learning is still important, however, Japanese can be fun and I can't express enough how important communication is to improving your standard of living in another country. So I'm back on the J-bandwagon (see how that J- thing works...) and am going to give the classes another try. I just wish I had taken more initiative in taking control of my language education earlier on and been firm with what works and doesn't for me... I would have been in better classes and found a better structure earlier.

The class I am in now is really interesting and I think it's a good level. I was the only westerner in the course, which was refreshing, and it was exciting to be in an environment where many people shared Japanese as our common language. Most of the class members were Chinese, followed by a few people from the middle east (Iran, Tajikistan) and at least two people were from India. The indian woman I sat next to has been here three years with her husband and mother while another guy I met came last summer. Some people learn faster than others; some have had to for survival (then others, like me, could probably get by without learning much of anything). I don't actually know if there were any other teachers in the course. Sort of a refreshing change and I find myself looking forward to spending more time in that diverse environment (outside of my already somewhat diverse environment - at least compared to Minnesota or other places I have lived). It's good.

After class, I met Dave at the Polo Dog (good burgers) and then headed back home. My classes are only one stop away from Sannomiya, but it took me forever to get to Kobe... going to have to explore faster ways to manuever my way around that 'hood.

Saturday
Saturday morning was pretty full with the old ladies. Instead of taking the train to meet them, I decide to bike to Okubo (only about 30 minutes each way). It was nice to get some outside time in on such a beautiful day... not to mention a little exercise. I hate to admit it, but I'm still not fully back into the running routine. I go sometimes and I love it when I do, but it's hard to get back into the same routine when you fall out of it. Working on that.

After the ladies, I stopped in Harimacho for a bit to hang out with Kelly. In the evening, I headed to Kobe for a birthday dinner at Sky Buffet (ahh, Sky Buffet... maintain that that place has the best view of Kobe anywhere, not to mention a decent buffet and the fact that you can mix your own drinks). Kenny, the birthday honoree, had to head home shortly after dinner, but I went to karaoke with a group for about an hour (hence the B52-inspired title of this post) and then Polo Dog (yes, again... I'm telling you, good burgers). Unfortunately, we thought we had more time until "last train" then we actually did (completely missed it).
As we were discussing where we would have to spend the night (a manga cafe, love hotel, capsule, bar, business hostel, regular hotel...you name it...), I stopped to just ask a taxi how much it would be to drive all five people in my little crew back to Amagasaki... thankfully, we got lucky. The driver quoted us a fare for a fraction of what it should have cost because the guy really wanted to practice English and it was a special kind of cab (and it was the type you rent for a day or for private excursions like business), so we quickly hopped in and made the long drive back. Metcha kucha!! Have to stop this missing-the-last-train foolishness, but I guess it makes for a good story, at least.

Sunday
Sunday morning was nice. Had brunch and watched part of the Godfather (need to finish it... still have never seen it, but finally know what it means when men say they're going to the mattresses). Lena was hosting another softball game at Shimizu High School in the afternoon, but between dropping off a video at Tsutaiya (basically the Japanese equiv. of Blockbuster) in Sannomiya and just sitting on trains for forever, it took me almost two and a half hours and I was well over an hour late. Argh, yapparina.... Despite my tardiness, we still got some good game time in, I had a LOT of fun with my friends that were there (especially Shag, who I realized would make a handsome Rastafarian after seeing him in glasses and a rasta hat) and we ate a delicious dinner at the okonomiyaki joint down the road at night. Then I just took a bath and read for a bit before bed (which I sort of think is the perfect end to a weekend).

Anyways, I have to get going (Kyoto Sensei ga kihatta... eek), but hope you all had a lovely weekend as well.

ps - Tokyo Marathon. 2009. The date has been announced, but the registration lottery has not opened. I'm waiting...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home