Brenda in Japan

Hailing from Minneapolis, Minnesota, Brenda McKinney is an American living and working in the Kansai region of Japan. This is an account of her life and adventures among the fine people of Nihon.

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

SOS: Selling Your Piece

I am breaking the rules again and getting personal.

I woke up in the middle of the night last night with a thirst to work on my law school applications like that of a vampire in search of blood. Granted, I went for a late run, but I think my essay is the source of my restlessness. What is worse, I did decide to attack a few weaker points that I have been trying to re-work, and am not sure my half-conscious state put me in the best form for making decisions.

I am one week out from submitting my first applications and just do not feel content with how I am presenting myself. Even the brilliant suggestions and revisions I have gotten from friends, colleagues and professors have not helped... and I feel like I know who I am:

I'm a second-generation American (grandparents with 4 different cultures) and both of my parents are only children... so my family connections to America are slim. While I am a hometown girl from 'the cities' and the only US state I have lived in is MN, I studied abroad in Norway, the Middle East & China (for over 2 years combined since HS) and have now lived in Japan for a year and a half. I consider myself extremely blessed. Growing up, we took 'educational trips' instead of vacations, allowing me to experience over 30 countries, many multiple times (not even close to half of what my parents have done).
Probably because of this, travel and learning about new places is one of my biggest passions. Growing up, I spent my summers at camp, so after putting in another 7 years on staff at Concordia Language Villages (another huge influence), I am even more an advocate of responsible global citizenship. I have a strong drive for helping others and making this world a better place.
My first resume had 'making a difference' as my AIM, and it still stands true, 8 years later. I would call these aspirations a passion or hobby (rather than a vision, for example) but right now education is my biggest medium for doing that. Hopefully, law will be the tool I will find most effective and use for my life's work.


Writing that was easy. I really do not know why it has been so hard drawing a picture of who I am and articulating why I want to go to law school in an essay format. I keep shaping and re-shaping the same mold of crap that really fails to represent me. Maybe it's nerves or rusty English/writing skills, but I am seriously this close from posting the essay on here to see what you guys think.

Anyways, applying to grad school is a big process and I'm working towards making mine the best application it can be. In the meantime, I have made Wednesday my day for strength/speed training (beginning last week with sets on the big stairs at the park), so I think I am going to work out when I get home and then get to bed very early. Wish me luck on making it through the night this time...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home