Brenda in Japan

Hailing from Minneapolis, Minnesota, Brenda McKinney is an American living and working in the Kansai region of Japan. This is an account of her life and adventures among the fine people of Nihon.

Monday, November 27, 2006

The Nurse Is In

I am sick and the nurse wants me to come have some special tea. I love that they give tea as a medicine. The tea I am supposed to drink is called yuzu and is made from a type of small orange (green in color). I have been told the Japanese also put the oranges (or fruit) in the bathtub sometimes to help heal the body.
So the nurse’s room at my school is huge and they have a million plants everywhere. I sometimes go out of my way to walk down the hallway near the nurse's office because I find the plants so soothing. Furthermore, the nurse plays calming music for the sick kids (almost like a nursery) and they have several real beds (all with curtains for privacy) for people to rest. I would have been there ALL THE TIME if the nurses office was that posh when I was in high school. I am even excited to go now, and I am an adult.
Wether I am healthy or not, I think I might start hang out in the nurse's office more regularly to practice some Japanese. There are two female nurses where I work, and they are both really sweet, but only one speaks English (which is probably good for me). The one that doesn’t speak English is apparently a slalom skier, though, and I might go skiing with her this winter (provided I ever recover from this blasted cold). For now, she might be the perfect person to practice Japanese with, though, since we don't have the option of switching to English. And they will probably give me more tea:)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home