Brenda in Japan

Hailing from Minneapolis, Minnesota, Brenda McKinney is an American living and working in the Kansai region of Japan. This is an account of her life and adventures among the fine people of Nihon.

Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Let the notebooks begin...

In an earlier post, I mentioned the difficulties I am having with the discipline scheme, or possibly discipline in general, in my new position. In addition to discipline, one of the other big challenges I am facing in walking into this line of work is grading homework. This is not the first time I have taught (although the first time in a formal public school setting) and not my first time assigning grades, even on homework for older students. A few summers ago, I worked as a credit teacher for high school students of Norwegian at Concordia Language Villages. This is an accredited program that offers students actual high school credit for completing an intensive summer-language course. I have worked at the language villages for several years and have had experience with teaching languages, but one of the biggest challenges for me in that position was giving grades. I felt so horrible giving students who I really tried to support a bad grade. It wasn’t until my senpei (Japanese for superior, or mentor-figure) sat me down and made me realize that it was not me giving a student a bad grade, but the student giving themselves a bad grade, that I was able to get over it and grow as a sensei. I have also been a TA, but the good thing with economics and grammar is that numbers and structure don’t lie; all I had to do then was identify whether or not the student got the pattern (and mark it wrong if they didn’t).
Work is going well, but my current project is correcting the journals I assign for all the first graders. I know 300 journals (at 100 or more words a pop) is a LOT to go through, but I love reading and commenting on each one. I don't mind taking the time to give them real corrections and grammatical explanations, either, because I feel like I am helping them and the notebooks represent a window into this world I want to know (maybe for them, too, as they have the chance to engage in dialogue with me).
On the topic of communication, I also just had a really nice class with the third-graders (seniors). We were working on letters for a cultural/language-exchange I am planning with an American High School, so I got some free time to talk to some of the students while they were writing. I am generally opposed to using any Japanese at all in school, but I have to admit life is a lot easier if I allow just a few words. The students seem more motivated when communication is a bit easier and the conversation flows more fluidly. I learn more Japanese, too, which is not the goal in class, but at least the students get more English speaking-practice in. And I get to know the students better. I really like them, but there is definitely a barrier there (literally the language barrier) and I desperately want to break through it... I know these students are people and more than just the uniforms and homework... and I want to know who they are. It’s just difficult at times, so the journals and short conversation opportunities provide an outlet to talk.
Even with the grades, and I am probably an easy grader, I hope they like class; I try to make it more about games and the fun of learning than just another subject. I hope the students find this motivation in their homework, as well. While they are getting writing practice, I get rich cultural tidbits. In a way, it’s a win-win situation (although I don’t know if the students would agree…).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home