Brenda in Japan

Hailing from Minneapolis, Minnesota, Brenda McKinney is an American living and working in the Kansai region of Japan. This is an account of her life and adventures among the fine people of Nihon.

Monday, November 27, 2006

The Race of a Lifetime

I was not going to tell anyone because if I do there is a pressure there and because I find it extremely frightening, but I have been toying with the idea of running a marathon. Not what the Japanese call a marathon (any old race), but a marathon in the Greek meaning. It’s weird to think of myself as a runner. While I am out there and pushing myself to achieve a little more each time, however, I feel great… and I think this might be the time to do it.
Japan apparently has one of the biggest running cultures in the world, but everyone runs on treadmills, so you wouldn’t know it living here. I also need to get into better shape and find a running buddy. Training is supposed to be impossible if you do it all alone. I am supposed to go running with a Japanese friend soon, but I am really self-conscious of my running. I have done it for years, but Kat is the only person I have really only run regularly with. I have always jogged outside, and but I usually run because I find it therapeutic. I use music, my thoughts or the news (oh, MPR…I miss you!) to keep me company and almost see it as meditation. It’s time for my to be alone to think and reflect. I ran with Mike while he was here (after a struggle on my part), and it was fun and I could keep up with him. Considering the last time I ran with him was freshman year and I had mono, it was a nice surprise to learn I could handle it…especially since that was just before his first marathon. So maybe I can and should start running with people to push myself a little more and gain more confidence about running in groups.

Once I get over this cold, I might see if Takiko (the friend) is up for it. She ran her first marathon in March, so it might help to have some guidance from her, especially since the diet is different here and I am not sure how to tailor my menus to a normal training schedule. And it would be fun to get into a routine with running and get to know her better. I’ll keep you posted on the marathon!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home