Brenda in Japan

Hailing from Minneapolis, Minnesota, Brenda McKinney is an American living and working in the Kansai region of Japan. This is an account of her life and adventures among the fine people of Nihon.

Thursday, July 09, 2009

Down to 3 weeks...

These days I'm not sure if the weeks are a break from the weekend or if the weekend is a break from the week.

The official farewells have commenced!  And I'm down to less than a month until this Japan experience is a "was" instead of an "is".  It's setting in...

**************************

Thursday was my last day for several classes and in the evening, I headed to Osaka to meet up with Serene, a close friend from home whom I've known since 6th grade.  I met her and her friend David at the "Big Man" (popular meeting spot near the Hankyu Station) in Osaka.  We headed to Shinsaibashi and had a lovely night at an izakaya, trying some Japanese goodness and plum wine, and exploring Namba.  David (or "D") was so immersed in the culture, lights, style of the place.  Wanted to go in so many shops and took so many pictures.  Loved him.  Love Serene.  Catching up was a lot of fun and I had almost forgotten how far we go back.  Like our big fight in middle school because of one Mr. Fisher (first kiss, same guy = drama)... and all I remembered was passing some not-nice notes in the hallway.  

One of those friends you'll have forever and felt like no time had passed since I saw her last :-)  I think it'll always be like that.

Friday didn't go as well.  All of the female teachers always have lunch together during exams, but I wasn't feeling great (women stuff, don't ask) so I skipped the ladies lunch.  What I didn't realize in skipping the lunch was, however, that it was supposed to be a surprise goodbye party for me... and I missed it :-(  Oops.  Stayed at school all day, but it was a slow day and I was a little disappointed and felt bad (this time, emotionally) in the afternoon.

On Friday evening, however, things did look up when I went to a birthday/farewell party for my friend Ann at Lock Up, a jail/dungeon-themed restaurant chain in Kobe.  I think this was my 6th time at Lock Up (they have them all over: Shibuya, Kyoto, Osaka...), but I never get sick of the place.  Their food presentation is really funky, the food is pretty good, the drinks come in fun containers (like science beakers), they handcuff you to take you to your cell (um, table).  There is a point in the night when the lights go off, black lights go on and monsters run around.  SO RANDOM.  So Japan.  

After dinner, we went to karaoke for a while then called it a night.  Then my friend Kate came over so we chatted for a while before heading to bed.  Really good time and I think little Ann had a good birthday celebration!

On Saturday, I brought Kate to the station and rode over to Uozumi to meet with my old ladies.  They sent me a message on Friday asking if we could push the time back and meet at a different location.  Glad they did.  When I arrived to meet them, they led me to one of the most wonderful cafes I think I have ever been to anywhere.  Gourmet food for very cheap, amazing atmosphere.  Took a million pictures because I was really inspired to try to recreate some of the decorating ideas at my family's farm someday.  I'll try to post some.

We had so much fun chatting... I am really, really going to miss this group.  At the end of the lunch (about 3 hours after I came), we were sort of browsing through this little boutique area at the back of the shop and the women saw me admiring this little, shiny, white dress.  It's pretty Japanese in style (ie - maybe weird in the US but really cute here?) so I was hesitant to buy it (and ok, I have too many clothes and am moving soon anyways), but when I went to the bathroom, the ladies snuck off and bought it for me as "one of my goodbye presents".  I was so surprised and didn't want to accept it.  They wanted to know what else to get and I told them I didn't want or need anything, so I told them I would LOVE some of the artwork that the woman who runs a shodo (calligraphy) school has done... and they said OK!  I am so excited.  The whole present culture in Japan still seems foreign to me in some ways.  It's hard for me to accept all of this, but I know it's cultural and normal when someone leaves.  Honestly, though... the company was enough of a gift.  Great afternoon.  I'll see this group once more before I go, and know I've been so lucky to have them in Japan.  Hanging out with older women can teach you a lot, but there is another layer in being abroad (or especially a broad in Japan) and I think my experience and time with these women really enriched my view of this country.

Saturday evening was another goodbye party, this time the farewell event at the Harimacho International Association.  Not all of the people leaving could come in the end, so it was essentially just AJ (my coworker at my Monday school) and I.  We did a potluck in the beginning (made homemade chinese dumplings for it, but was chatting so much wouldn't have been able to try anything else if Takiko hadn't brought me a plate) and then speeches at the end.

My speech was very short after last year (struggled through my prepared speech and cried in front of about 50 people saying goodbye to good friends!), but I almost got choked up a few times... this time combined with laughter, though.  I haven't been active at the IFA for a while (too busy), but they were so, so supportive and helpful when I arrived and I met so many beautiful people through that organization.  They gave me a collage with pictures from a few events I attended through the years here and it brought back so many memories.  I hope I can come back and visit this little town someday and think what this community does is great :)

After the event, I was hoping to do fireworks for the 4th, but everyone piked at the last minute so I ended up just going to a bar with AJ, Brayden and James.  The bar turned into another bar and a fun night, but I had to take the next morning off (no, not because I was THAT drunk... mostly because I had a bike accident on the way home -- rode my bike into the "gaijin trap" - huge open sewer) on the way home.  It happens to many of us here sometime or another, but I was sort of hoping I wouldn't be one of those people so close to the end :-P

Despite the hiccup, the weekend finished on a glorious note with a Hanshin Tigers game at historic Koshien Stadium on Sunday evening.  Serene and my friend Kate met me and we rocked the opposition (Swallows) section with about 30 other foreigners in our group.  Songs for each player, crazy fans, stadium-wide balloon-releases... I LOVE baseball in Japan.  It was obvious the other team wasn't going to be able to gain enough points by the beginning of the 9th, so they actually ended the game early (didn't know you could do this??)... but we won!!

Anyways, after such a busy weekend, I was pretty tired on Monday morning, but I made it through a full day of last classes (pretty much cried - in class - when my 3rd year girls and one of my favorite coworkers gave me a sweet goodbye card :-p), ESS and maybe the longest listening test recording ever.  We recorded part one twice.  Then again.  Then the tape ran out and we did the WHOLE test over.  One take.  I actually gave AJ an "otsukaresama" afterwards... and it was deserved.  After school, I just relaxed for most of the evening, cooking, running errands and reading (in the bathtub... maybe it's weird, but so relaxing).

Was back at Takanan on Tuesday.  We have exams at my normal school this week, but Tuesday afternoon was my official goodbye lunch with the English department.  I was really impressed!  Maeda Sensei's wife found this really cute new cafe near where we work and the food was spectacular.  Sort of a trendy, jazz/eco-inspired place.  Had a big laugh (and probably turned the brightest shade of red I've ever been) when I accidentally showed one of the older male teachers a picture from a recent joke-photo-shoot we took in my shower (accidentally bought a black light and it looks like a club, so my neighbors and I put on "going-out clothes" and took "clubbing" pictures one night...).  Always a story.  

After work, another one of my all-time favorite coworkers here that couldn't make the luncheon came to school to say hi and catch up.  She sort of took on the role of coach with me (sometimes being very strict, but always teaching me so much).  I did find it funny that most of what we talked about found it's way through the gossip chains and to other schools & friends there (who messaged me abou tit) by the time I reached home (this teacher and another teacher like to gossip - especially about the foreigners - and then tell us about each other), but it wasn't anything harmful and sort of reminded me of older times in Japan when this teacher and I would talk more.  We'll have one final dinner before I go, so it's wasn't the final goodbye here with Ms. M, but it was nice to see her... and I'm grateful for how supportive this work community is and has been.

At night, a few ladies came over to make crepes.  Wanted to perfect the recipe before I go since they are so accessible here (yes, in Japan...) but more difficult to find at home and had a lovely night.  Great leftovers for breakfast, too ;-)

Serene was supposed to come out and stay at my place today (Wednesday) and tomorrow, but her brother has a concert & a farewell party in Kyoto, so I'm just going to catch up with her again in the Minnie when I'm home in a few weeks.  It was fun seeing her and I was excited to have her out and give her the tour of my little corner of Japan, but to be honest, I'm secretly a little relieved to have more free time.  

Especially since work has been busy.  I did a few practice STEP interview tests with kids in the morning at work today (when they finished their tests for the day), but really spent most of the day preparing for leaving Japan and it's wearing me out.  I think the visa situation, tatami replacement details and pension refund are settled and we're dealing with closing my gas/electricity/phone/water accounts tomorrow, but after 3 years here, it's hitting me how much there is to do (beyond just normal closure and PACKING).  I had a little argument with the office when they didn't have record of selling me my air conditioning unit and insisted it belonged to the school and I couldn't sell it (have the receipt for about $500 from when I got stuck with the bill my first week so it's OK...), but otherwise, things are going well.  I spent several hours going through papers, lessons and books, deciding what my replacement will need, what I will need and what can go.  I threw away a huge bag of paper and shredded much more already, but there's just SO MUCH stuff.  I have a ways to go, but feel like I'm making progress.  Maybe three weeks (well, actually only 2 full weeks) doesn't sound like a lot of time, but I'm glad I have it and feel like I'll be ready (and will be able to offer a pretty comprehensive hand-over to my predecessor) when I finish.  

Whew... things are getting crazy, so the distraction from the fact that I'm about to say a pretty big goodbye (to Japan!) is probably a good thing, but wish me luck.  I might need it :-p

I spent the evening working on preparations for the bachelorette party I'm throwing this weekend with friends.  So excited.  I love throwing dinners/parties, but haven't had as many opportunities to do so in Japan because of limited space, and this is going to be a good one!

Finally, in other news, I've been following the situation in China as well as all the MJ memorial coverage (and won't even comment about Sarah Palin stepping down... yappari).  I can imagine there's much more about MJ on the TV at home, but it's been nice to be able to keep up with pop culture here via the international news sites.  Michael Jackson's death definitely had an effect in Japan.  A lot of my students have been talking about it and his name came up in tests and homework over the last week (true global media focus).  He was definitely talented and it's amazing how one person can change the world in different ways, but it's also interesting how such a complicated figure will be immortalized because of this untimely departure vs. how his legacy would be remembered if fate had taken a different turn.  I've also finally been trying to be more forward-focused lately (because I have to be!?!) and I also think I found a place to live in Boston.  Had a mini panic attack seeing pictures of the place with all the SNOW (real winter? what's that again?) and info/details to follow in upcoming weeks, but I'm looking forward tonew adventures to come.  

I need to get to bed, but in closing, I want to say hello to everyone at Skogfjorden right now and say I wish I could be there this weekend.  Our dean, Tove Dahl, is being knighted.  I was invited to the event (my fam is going) and this woman has been such an influence and role model in my life... there in thought and spirit if not in person :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home